With today being Earth Day what if any things are you currently doing to help the earth. If nothing what things are you willing to do to ensure you're leaving behind a cleaner Earth for your kids?

I ask because last year my oldest daughter who is now almost 11 came to me all excited about some article she read in her Nick magazine about recycling and saving the planet and asked me what could we do to help the Earth. From that point on our entire family has made some changes in regards to how we as a family need to reduce, recycle and reuse. We recycle in our home, we use reusable shopping bags, not only to grocery shop but we bought nicer reusable bags to do our clothing shopping, instead of throwing something away we check to see if it can be used again or used in another way instead of throwing it out. I even make our own earth friendly laundry soap, I take public trans to work, we use energy saving appliances at home.

I know a lot of people think that little things won't really make an overall difference but the truth is that if more folks were just a little more earth conscience then it would help more.

Ladybugkisses76

Asked by Ladybugkisses76 at 1:13 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I an going to start making my own febreeze and reusing the bottle! tea tree oil for bed bugs and germs,MRSA plus lavender oil for smelling good! Go to health /natural store!!!
    Anonymous

• Gardening. We grow our own vegetables. We recycle almost everything. I fix stuff instead of tossing it. We exercise outside a lot.
    Raintree

Answer by Raintree at 1:17 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I've recycled everything that can be, ever since I've lived on my own. I used to have to keep it in the garage until I had a huge pile of it and then I sorted it and took it to a recycle center. The city we live in now picks up our recycle for us and it's so nice. Twice a month I just roll the bin into the alley. We only have one car that I drive only to take my oldest to school (dh takes the bus/train to work). The other kids walk. I walk to the store with my little granny cart when it's nice out instead of driving and polluting the air. And I have a huge collection of reusable bags for any kind of shopping I do. I've started to use some natural cleaners, but haven't found many that I really like. I also sometimes take a bag and gloves with me on my walk by the creek and clean it up if it looks really bad.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:45 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• We do things every day, we recycle almost everything, we compost, we'll have a vegetable garden this summer, we use reusable water bottles and coffee cups and clothe grocery bags, I make my own all purpose household cleaner and only buy eco-friendly dish soap, laundry soap, etc. I don't have any toxic cleaners in my home....I even had my wood floors stained with a water based finish =)

This morning DD4 and DS2 were brushing their teeth and I heard DD4 yell at her brother to shut off the water so we don't waste it. I was so proud =)

Anyway, for TODAY, I haven't really done anything different because everyday is Earth day ;) but I did put my kids in their "go green" and "save my planet" t-shirts for school to celebrate =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:55 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• we recycle, garden, reuse everything we can, free cycle to keep things from going into land fills, cut down on our dependace of plastics, stopped using paper towels, we don;t use lights during the day, we keep out thermostat low. that all I could think of right now. We are really into going green...oh and we didn't use sposies
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 2:17 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Well I live in base housing so all our appliances are energy efficient. I did buy an energy efficient washer and dryer. We use the light bulbs that last for 10yrs. I have started to use reusable shopping bags when I go to the store. And since I have a baby in the house I use non toxic household cleaners.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 2:35 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I have been living green for a long time long before it was "popular" and politically correct to do so. Living green is cheaper and that is the only reason we do it. I cook from scratch which creates less trash fresh ingredients and other ingredients come with less packaging. We have recycled for years and make 300 on aluminum, plastic and glass each year. Goes into our vacation fund. My dumpster is only half full and we keep our water usage down which saves us money. We turn off lights which is not just green it is common sense. I don't buy Al Gores whole end of the world senerio if he beleived it he would live green but he doesn't. Uses more energy in month than I do in a year.

I think these "green" days are stupid. You are either going to live that way or not. I will not turn my lights off for an hour and will not turn off my computer all week (we don't own a TV rots the brain). I just live my life frugally
    Anonymous

• Totally there anon
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:47 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Well, me and my hubby took some metal to the junk yard so it could be melted and used again. And all we use in our bedroom is a little desk lamp, not the overhead light.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 5:42 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• We always recycle, today Cartridge World (a printer refill place) is doing free refills today only as their Earth Day thing, and we'll be getting into that since it benefits us and them :-) We use energy efficient light bulbs, we don't turn lights on till it gets dark, and we do conserve, so we'll be doing as we always do. Today was a long day with kids' schooling and state testing, and it is also my anniversary so we don't go all out on Earth Day, but I do treasure it as it is a special day and my husband, children and I are nature lovers.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 5:50 PM on Apr. 22, 2009