How do I get my son to potty train when he won't go with me there?

My son is 23 months and we have been working on introducing the whole potty training bit since Christmas (18 months). At first he never had an interest, but then someone suggested moving the potty out of the bathroom and into a more easily accesibly area like the living room. We did & he was more into it. He would tell me that he needed to pee/poop or just say "potty" and I would undress him (take diaper off) and let him sit on the potty, but he would never actually go, he'd just look around the room and get up and dismantle the potty. Thatgot old really quickly and although I wanted to stick with it, I was fairly certain he didn't understand that he actually needed to go IN the potty. Then he started just taking it apart all the time. I decided to retire the potty for awhile and now when I'm outta the room he takes his diaper off and pees in the floor, it's like he wants to do it, but doesn't get it. How do I help him get it?

jacksmama257

Asked by jacksmama257 at 1:14 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)