My son still not talking!

My son is 21 months and still does not talk. He knows how to say mama and dada, but never uses it to speak to us. He just makes eh! noises. He does get his point across with actions. Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

LibertyJag420

Asked by LibertyJag420 at 1:19 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Next time try making him talk. Don't do it because he points. For example: When he grunts and points for a cup, say do you want your cup? or Drink? Whatever you call it. If he acts like that is what he wants, then say...."say cup" . Keep doing that until he says it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:29 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I have tried this, he just starts screaming for things.
    LibertyJag420

Answer by LibertyJag420 at 1:51 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Have you contacted Early Intervention for help? They can evaluate him and probably offer some speech therapy. My youngest had a severe speech delay (didn't even say what your son does). He said his first word at 23 months after a month of therapy and is now age appropriate with his vocabulary, just behind in articulation! (6 months)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:14 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• i have to and my son starts screaming to. he is 2 1/2 and only says about 10 words i just started using signs he knows about 25 signs now
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 2:15 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I had a girlfriend who's daughter did this, not sure exactly til what age but her ped said to get tough and it took a couple weeks for sure of the screaming - hes just used to getting what he wants by saying eh eh ... my son isn't a big talker either but he is making more of an attempt at 18 months
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:16 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I'd have him evaluated by Early Intervention as well. We didn that with our son at 18 months when he wasn't saying anything. In 6 months time he had more than 100 words. It was well worth it! Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Have him tested, but, they are going to do exactly what I said. So, even with the screaming, which is what kids do, you are gonna have to get tough and do it through the screaming. I know a girl that wasn't talking or walking. Her mom carried her and let her point. She called EI and had her tested and they started working with her and the little girl was walking and talking within a week. They told the mom it was because she didn't make her walk or talk. The little girl was allowed to get what she wanted by pointing and grunting.
    I have worked in daycare for 4 years and saw this many times. He might have a problem, but, if you don't try you won't know. If you try and it works, problem solved. If you try and it doesn't, then call.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:08 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My daughter is 26 months, can speak in full sentences when she wants to, but when the mood hits her she will just go to pointing and grunting for things. The whole family (myself, my husband, my sister and parents--we all have a large roll in raising her) just patiently tell her to use her words to tell us what she wants. There's a good deal of screaming on her side, but eventually she tells us what she wants. She was a late talker by the way. It turned out that both of her eardrums were in need of tubes, she was 11 months when she had the tubes put in. Before the tubes she barely talked just screamed alot, after the tubes she was talking within a month. Don't know if that helps or not, but it was something I had never thought about.
    ayleana

Answer by ayleana at 10:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2009