My 9 month old doesn't want to do anything!

She hasn't started crawling, she won't hold a bottle or even drink from a sippy cup and she won't feed herself finger foods. She has fine motor skills. Is she lazy or is this normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didn't know babies had to hold their bottles or they were thought lazy. Interesting. Now the crawling part I don't know. Is the baby meeting other milestones?
    beccimae

Answer by beccimae at 1:49 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My daughter is 8 months old and doesn't want to crawl. I'm working on that. She gets mad when she is on her tummy but I let her cry cause she stops after a few min and starts trying. She is holding her own bottle and she is feeding herself. So she might just be lazy. Try showing her how to do things and she might try. Good luck.
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 1:22 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• get her tsh level checked for a thyroid problem, my daughter was born with one. Is she very sleepy?ASAP
    Anonymous

• I try. Do you think that it could just be because she likes mommy to do everything for her?
    Anonymous

• No, she sleeps throughout the nap and takes like one short nap a day. Other than that, no she is vibrant and laughs all day long. She will put the puffs in her mouth, but she just sucks on them while they're in her mouth, she never pulls her hand out.
    Anonymous

• My friends daughter is the same way... she just turned 11 months and is just now learning to crawl and still won't eat foods. The doctor isn't worried about her though.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:26 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Yeah, her other milestones have been normal, except all of those that I just listed. I guess she kinda scooches around on her butt. Does that count? I'm not saying she is lazy. I just mean, most babies are trying to do these things by now. I don't mind holding her bottle for her. I just wish she would try.
    Anonymous

• I have a 10 month old, 9 months old adjusted. I asked a question similar to this yesterday. Anyhow, he was accepted in to early intervention for all of it. He does everything but what you mentioned above as well. According to our first therpay appt, his shoulder and trunck muscles are a little weaker due to prematurity and lack of tummy time. (he was always held). So right now she suggests if he is not eating or sleeping he needs to be on his tummy working on those muscles. She said once those muscles develop a bit more he will have an easier time feeding himself, crawling and holding his own bottle. He just started pivoting in a circle so I think he is getting there. My hisband never crawled so I wonder if my ds ever will. He just wants to stand. Anyway talk to your doc and see if she should be evaluated. She could just need a jump start. Good luck!
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 3:17 PM on Apr. 22, 2009