getting 3 year old to poop in potty

my son is now 3years old and still no poop in potty.he has been peeing in the potty since he was 20 months old very few if any accidents.but when it comes to pooping in the potty i can't get anywhere,he has constipation problems and is on medicine for it.doctor says that he has probally lost feeling and can not feel himself going and it could take up to six months for it to come back.has anyone else has this problem ?if so please give some advice.he starts 3k in august and needs to be potty trained.

kb24

Asked by kb24 at 1:31 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe try to take him 30 mins after he eats.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 1:43 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Well, if doesnt want to go, then you cant force him. If hes been constipated chronically and has issues with feeling, then likely conventional ways of PT might not help. Also constipation can be quite traumatic for young children and make them fear the potty even more. That might be what youre dealing with. My three yr old won't potty train either. Hes just simply not ready. I might do some half day preschool with him in the fall, but I am not going to make him potty train just so he can go to school. Its a long time between now and august though, so you have some time. I really do feel for ya!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:43 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My son was three in January and we had similar issues. I was given advice from a friend whos doctor gave her suggestions. He said to buy some toys your child really likes and put them out of reach in the bathroom. Everytime you go in say, "If you poop in the potty you get a toy." My son went around for weeks saying this. Finally, I caught him trying to hide one day and went and set him down and a very small piece came out. He was so proud of himself and we let everyone in the family know. It was a big deal!! Now he will try to go and sit, on his own sometimes, to continue earning other toys. It is always a small amount and he usually finishes later in his pull up, but it is a start. I tried other rewards, but this is the only thing that worked. Good Luck!
    keithfamily

Answer by keithfamily at 2:35 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Dude was like this... i taught him to sing while he was on there.. it workd wonders.. he still does it at 5yrs old.. lol
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 3:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• ok girl i will get up with u on email on this one . but is he on miralax??????? i got advise that might help jessica has same problem! sence she was about 20 months also. she is on miralax for constipation. we must talk..lol
    mybabygirl32406

Answer by mybabygirl32406 at 10:05 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I had the hardest time with my oldest son going poop in potty!!!! I remember watching,"Look's Who's Talking" and the dancing and clap. So, next morning he poop in Pull-Up and I dump the poop into his "potty" and did the clapping/dancing and he started clapping/dancing. That evening he pull down his Pull-Up and went poop inside. Never had a problem again.

I think you have to make it "fun" and excited for the kids potty training

Good Luckboy on a swing

MommyMommy25

Answer by MommyMommy25 at 6:42 PM on Apr. 24, 2009