Summer vacation - Chain versus local motel/hotel

When you go on vacation, especially to a place you're not 100% familiar with, do you prefer to stay in a chain hotel/motel, or try a local hotel/motel?

My husband prefers big name places. I prefer to try something different, even if its not been updated. As long as its clean and comfortable, that's all I need. Plus, they're often cheaper. What do you think?

mrsderekjeter

Asked by mrsderekjeter at 1:36 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Travel

• I don't care but I prefer the doors to be on the INSIDE and not on the OUTSIDE.....just me though.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:39 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• We love to go to locally owned places. We like hotels with character instead of cookie cutter chains. We do always check their ratings online so we arent getting a rat infested, bed bug, prostitute type of place lol.
    But we stayed at a Bed & Breakfast in front of the ocean that was owned by a surgeon...it was gorgeous!! And then a very modern hotel in the city, and a historic one in another city. Chains are boring.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I prefer local places. I appreciate the history and character they have. When I don't have the time to read reviews before booking though I do tend to go with a chain that I know and trust.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:59 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I like the chains for the points perks and free breakfast. The kids are more comfortable in them too. Mom & Pop places don't seem too keen on kids. We have stayed in those when we have no other choice and not had the greatest experiences. I like how the chains are doing deals with free nights and other perks!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 3:20 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I worked at the hampton for a long time and i know all the tricks of the trade.. the hampon is owned by hilton.. and most chain hotels will go down on their room rates ANY time you ask.. most of them will cut it in half or bargain with you.. our normal one night rate would be about 140 bucks.. we would give rooms for as low as 20 bucks if people asked.. also there are a lot of different discounts you can get at chain hotels.. just call and ask for a discount and they will give it to you 9 times out of 10.. plus the hampton has a satisfaction guarantee and if for any reason something went wrong even the smallest thing they will give you the room for free
    casper4991

Answer by casper4991 at 1:33 AM on Apr. 24, 2009