When to start solids

My baby will be 4 months old on the 24th and I was just wondering when to start the baby food and what to start with. I cant remember what I started my oldest on or when I started LOL that was 3 years ago LOL

lovemybabys1106

Asked by lovemybabys1106 at 1:44 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't feel bad it's been 5 years since I went through it and I couldn't remember either! I recall reading something about them at least being 4 months old. Remember to only give baby one kind of food a day, ie: peaches or bananas, not both, to make sure they're not allergic to them. We just started ours on solids a few weeks early.
    gumby11883

Answer by gumby11883 at 1:49 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• it's best to not start till 1 year since it's just empty calories, however it's important for babies to practice before that age to get them used to the textures, tastes and check for signs of food allergies. 6 months is a good age since the digestive system is more developed, the tongue reflex is usually gone, the baby should be able to hold his/her head up without support, sit up with little to no support. you want to only offer like a tblspn of solids once a day at first, then progressively offer more. check out www.wholesomebabyfood.com for good tips!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:47 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• 4 to 6 months whenever around that time period that you feel they are ready
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 1:47 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Usually start with cereal then work in the fruits and vegetables...one at a time to watch for sensitivities.

I've done it running through all the vegetables first, then the fruits. I did it in alphabetical order. LOL No difference to them!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:48 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I recommend no sooner then 6 mos, and then, start with some pureed veggies, or mashed banana or avocado.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Not before six months. Solids the first year are more for the experience of eating them, than for nutrition. Wait three or four days before introducing a new food; it can take that long for an allergy to appear. Avoid the primary allergy triggers before baby's first bithday; this is not a complete list, but they include: dairy, wheat, soy, citrus, eggs, strawberries. www.superbabyfoods.com is a great resouce for feeding babies and toddlers; you should be able to find the book at your local library.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:03 PM on Apr. 22, 2009