How long is your toddler's nap each day? Is a 3 hour nap too long?

I think my 23 month old is sleeping too long in the afternoons. She is not sleeping through the night(never has really) so I am wondering if it could be her afternoon nap. She takes a 3 hour nap each afternoon.

What is your toddler's age and how long do they nap for? Also, what time do they get up and when do they go to bed? Thanks!

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 1:44 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Not sleeping through the night is common and has little to do with the naps. Developmental leaps and teething are the most common problems. If your daughter goes to bed without screaming and fighting, she is probably getting the right amount of daytime sleep and probably has a good bedtime. If she screams and fight, wakes often and easily during the night, or wakes way too early in the morning then she is not getting enough sleep, possibly with too late of a bedtime.

At 24 months, my daughter went to bed at 6:45pm. Woke aroung 7am. And took one nap - usually about 2 hours. Toddlers of this age usually need between 12 and 14 hours a day.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:50 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• When my daughter was 2 she went to bed at 7:30p and woke up around 6:30a. She took an afternoon nap from 12:00-3:00. She is 3 and still a real good sleeper. She sleeps from 8:00p-6:30a and naps from 12:00-2:30. My 1 year old is a different story. She sleeps the same at night but usually only naps for 1 1/2 hours during the day. Enjoy it while you can, I am. I will go crazy when there is no more nap time!
    Lexi.Mommy

Answer by Lexi.Mommy at 1:49 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My son is 18 months almost and he goes to bed at 7:30m, wakes at 5;30 and take a 1 hour nap. never really liked sleep
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:09 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Mine's nearly 23 months and she naps anywhere from 1 1/2 to 3 hours in the afternoon. She sleeps from about 9pm till 7 or 7:30 am.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:10 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• my son is 2 1/2 and he sleeps from 8:30pm to 9:00am and his nap is about an hour long normally around noon...ur kid is sleeping way to long u should wake her up after an hour to an hour and a half
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 2:12 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• my son is 2.5 and he hasn't napped since he was 22 months, but he does go to bed at 8pm on a busy day and get up at 9 am. on a day we don't do much he goes to bed at 9 30- 10pm
    eddysmommy

Answer by eddysmommy at 2:20 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My son just turned 2. he goes to bed around 7:30 and gets up between 7 and 7:30. He naps for between 1.5 to 2 hrs. He occaisionally takes longer naps if he didn't sleep well the night before. I don't usually let him sleep much past 3:00PM if he goes down late as I find I have trouble getting him to sleep at night. With that said, amount of sleep if very individual. I woudl think that if the nap was too long, the issue would be in getting her down at night, not in getting her to sleep through.
    Anonymous

• Thanks Kaycee. That is very helpful. She goes to bed at 8:30 with no problems at all. She usually will tell me night night and go to her bedroom door when she is sleepy. She wakes at least 2-3 times per night and will go right back to sleep. She wakes up every morning at 8:30.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 3:58 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My son is 25 month sold and has always been a good napper and sleeper at night. He generall goes to bed @ 815pm and gets up between 630-7am. HE still sleeps 3 hours in the afternoon and the past few weeks I have been thinking I need to get down on his afternoon nap because it's been harder for him to fall asleep at night. When I put him down at 815pm he doesn't fight going to bed, but he will talk in his crib until 915, so it's taking him longer and longer to unwind.

I always thought kids will sleep for as long as they need to, so I hate to cut into his nap if he needs that sleep....he's so active in the day he really does need a good nap. But like a few other people have posted if it's interferring with the nighttime sleep maybe its time to cut down on daytime sleep!!?
    laura30261

Answer by laura30261 at 5:16 PM on Apr. 22, 2009