Would I get in trouble for misleading a parole officer?

Presently, my FIL is living with us. He's on parole for DWI (third offense I think.) He's been in jail a lot during DH's life. His parole officer showed up early for the last home visit and FIL wasn't home yet from out of state. We didn't know what to tell her, so we didn't answer the door. We live just about 20 miles away from next state and his brother lives over the line. FIL goes down there to camp at the lake, get drunk, fish, etc. I also found beer hid out in our shop the other night that was his, so I know he's not trying to do better. I'm not going to randomly call the parole officer and tell her obviously. What if she shows up again and he's not here? I can't just keep not answering the door. Would I go to jail or get in trouble if I lied and said I didn't know where he was?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• misleading a P.o would get you into trouble but more than likley no jail time unless you knew he was cooking crack in your house lol.As far as what you should do..well i would tell Fil that if he didnt at least try to sober up that i would tell his P.o where he was because if he keeps this up it wont be just jail he 'll end up in the Pen.
    punk101

Answer by punk101 at 3:22 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• i dont think you'd go to jail since you're not the one in trouble with the law....I dont know my dear...GL
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Sorry, didn't know exactly where to put this question. But I'm kinda nervous about the parole officer showing up again and I don't want to get in legal trouble for pretending not to know where FIL is.
    Anonymous

• Speaking as a cop, yes you would get in to trouble. You are withholding information based on a suspect that has several previous arrests for DWI. You could be arrested for hindering an ongoing investigation or obstructing. It's up to you.

I get that you're trying to help your family and while that's admirable, you aren't doing your FIL any favors by contributing to his alcoholism. The next time he's drunk behind the wheel and kills someone would you're question to give information to his parole officer been any different? The big thing is your FIL knowingly drinks and doesn't seem to concern himself with the consequences. Most alcoholics make excuses of why they feel the need to drink and drive, i.e. "I'm just going to the store." "It's only 15 minutes from the house." "I drive better when I have had a drink, it relaxes me."

Guilt will set in when you realize you could have made a different decision to save a life.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 1:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• you won't get in trouble, he will for not getting ahold of her which is not following the rules and its his OWN fault for being stupid if he didn't learn the first time, the 2 nd and the 3 rd he is old enough to know better from right and wrong your not his parent nor his slave and he is not your child so he should know what his reaspoabilies are
    Anonymous

• if they can't find him they will just issue a warrant for his arrest.....i wouldn't avoid them though. i would tell FIL that he needs to let them know where he is and such...i am sure you can't be arrested though. good luck:)
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 1:59 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• What lilbit said.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:02 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Oh, no, we are not contributing in any way to his drinking. He was told we didn't allow alcohol here, but I found this beer the other night. He's not been back since I found it. I am concerned about his behavior, but I also don't want to be named if he gets ratted out. Ya know? He is my FIL and I'd have to deal with already stupid family members that DO contribute to his alcoholism.
    Anonymous

• What I mean is, when he is here in our presence, he has not been drinking since we dont' allow it. Its ridiculous that a grown, 58 year old man should have to be told not to drink when he's out on parole. He also says he can't make it to AA meetings because of ME! I'm 8 months pregnant, but I'm not the only person who could take him. I just so happened to find the beer when I was looking for something else. We don't drink and it was his brand, so of course its his. But if he is not here, I can't police his activities. What he does when he's not here is not in my control.
    Anonymous

• i'd litsen to the cop... lilbit022009. don't lie.. that always makes things worse. don't defend him... esp if he'snot doin anything to better himself for his family.

please do not get in trouble for something someone else did. i'm assuming you're a mom. so set the example you'd want for your kid(s).
    Anonymous