How will insurance and medicaid not covering circumcision affect circumcision rates in this country?

I believe it will drastically decrease the number of boys who are circumcised. Does that affect your decision to circumcise? Will it become a form of class distinction?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• What ? I didn't know they were dropping it.
    And no, I will pay to have circumcision done.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 2:14 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• That's an interesting question, and I suppose it could become a form of class distinction being that not everybody will be able to afford to pay for it. I've never thought about that aspect of it. It will not affect my decision because I am already against circ's for my boys.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 2:16 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I hope so! I feel sorry for baby boys who have their winky dinks chopped.
    Anonymous

• Wow I think it is great that they won't cover it. It is purely cosmetic in most cases. And I do believe that over time it could become a class distinction. Interesting thought.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:17 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• This would not affect my family, as I do not circumcise my children.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• The insurance companies should not be making decisions that are up to parents to make. I would end up paying for the circ out of pocket. I really don't think it will effect anything.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:27 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• How come only the anti-circ folks come out of the woodwork to answer questions like this when polls on cafemom show about 70-80% are in favor of circumcision?
    Anonymous

• Class distinction? So if it becomes about class, which side are you going to choose? That makes a personal ethical decision a choice about what others think. I never had medicaid as primary insurance, so I didnt know that they dont pay for it. It doesnt change what I would do. Both of my boys are circ'ed and I would do it again, regardless of price. I do think that the answer to your first question is an emphatic yes. IT will begin to drop the number of boys having it done at birth, but it might increase the number of them having it done later. I know at least 3 people who did it later on at their OWN choosing.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:29 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• tyfry7496, the insurance companies are not making any decisions, they are only offering or not offering to pay for a procedure.
    Anonymous

• momofsaee, I too believe it will dramatically reduce the number of circ's done every year. A lot of women use the reason that they don't want their child to be made fun of as the primary reason for having it done. That will not be the case among the upcoming generation of boys. About class? Which side am I going to choose? I think most everyone aspires to be like the upper classes but I would never use that as the sole reason behind any health decision I made. However, if I am leaning one way that might push me over.
    Anonymous