Is it better to eat before a workout or after?

My nutritionist says to eat before. My trainer says to eat after. Which is it? When asked the both claimed the other was wrong, both adding that "a small snack before/after is better"-- pfft.

Thoughts?

MamaCarterof5

Asked by MamaCarterof5 at 2:14 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Health

• i do both.. before so my "muscles" have something to work with and build upon, and after to help heal.

well that's just me though. i'm neither a nutritionist nor a trainer. just some some chick trying to gain weight.

i guess it depends on whether or not you're trying to lose weight.

to me it makes sense to work out first eat later if you're losing weight.. sorta make yourself earn the food.

eat before to help yourself bulk up.. but idk.. every body is very different. do what works for you i suppose... some people need some time to let the food settle before they can work out. so.. that's another reason...

i normally drink ensure or some smoothie before.. then eat after... blah. i'm no help.
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 2:21 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Well I would think eating before would be better because than you can burn off most of what you ate, and I'm usually so hungry after a workout that if I hadn't eaten anything before I would likely eat a whole Thanksgiving feast to myself. I have no idea which one you are supposed to do. Maybe either one is fine.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 2:16 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I've always heard after, because the workout speeds up your metabolism and you digest the meal better/faster.
    Anonymous

• on another note.. i could be totally wrong. i generally eat before. haha! i'm sorry... i just can't seem to make up my mind about anything today.
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 2:23 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My trainer suggest after wards. You dont want to be too full when working out, and after your work out, your muscles need the protein, to help them recover . I would say a small snack before work out
    prescilla210

Answer by prescilla210 at 2:56 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Take a good healthy snack before, to avoid muscle cramps etc, but to burn more calories, it's better to work out first to activate your metabolism.
    DavineandLiam

Answer by DavineandLiam at 2:56 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Why not do a protein shake before and eat a good meal after????
    guardmp_MOM

Answer by guardmp_MOM at 4:20 PM on Apr. 22, 2009