Can breastfed babies be constipated?

I have already asked my Pediatrician and they gave me the "its normal" routine but I have never had this happen with my older son or my baby before. He is 7 months old and I have recently started him on solids..once a day and mostly just pureed fruits and veg nothing out of the ordinary and all of which he has not had a previous problem with. So I am wondering if maybe its a reaction to something that I am taking or a foriegn object, like paper or something that he swallowed. The child puts EVERYTHING into his mouth and he is really fast. I started Birth control pill last week. anyone have any thoughts?

missv66

Asked by missv66 at 2:17 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• What are his symptoms?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:21 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Yes bf babies can get constipated. Introduce a fruit like a pear that relieves constipation. There are some others but I can't remember what they are.
    Anonymous

• If he is on solids he can be... especially if he eats much rice, applesauce and banana's
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Watch how much iron he is getting by the other foods. It might not be the food itself, but the iron in it. My LO was really sensitive to the iron. You might try some diluted juice to help move things along. I mixed half prune juice and half breastmilk when my daughter was little and it did the trick every time.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 4:49 PM on Apr. 22, 2009