breastfed baby

my son is 3 weeks old and will not sleep in his bed he just wants me to hold him none stop even during the day...my first son was never like this but he also was bottle fed becuz he was early and didnt know how to suck right...my mom said its becuz im breastfeding how do i get the baby in his own bed?

Lacrisha

Asked by Lacrisha at 2:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First, Congratulations! This is very normal, and it can not be said enough: he will not be nursing like a newborn forever!! The first few weeks are SO INTENSE... but then it gets a lot easier, easier than bottles even. Have you read anything about cosleeping? You might find that at least for right now it makes more sense for your family to let baby share your bed, and then transition him to his own sleep space when his needs are less intense? Many mamas find that once they make the decision to go with that for a while, everyone gets more sleep and it works out just fine. Another suggestion is get yourself a carrier, you can find tons of info at thebabywearer - you will be able to hold and nurse your baby while you go about your life hands free. Like breastfeeding, using a sling or wrap can take a little getting used to, but once you get the hang of it it makes life
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 2:30 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Just give it time. He IS only 3 weeks old. All babies at this age want to be held and comforted. I'm not for the CIO method, but I am for the cry for a few minutes thing. Sometimes you just can't hold them, like if you have to go to the bathroom, or clean something, so they will be fine to cry for a few minutes. Try a baby swing and letting it rock him to sleep, then moving him. You can also try a heartbeat CD to put him to sleep with.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 2:27 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• It's not because he's breastfed, it's because he's 3 weeks old and wants to be close to you :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:27 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• i have tried a swing and a rocking vibrating chair thing and they dont work
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 2:29 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Sounds like my daughter. My son was first, he was fine. She always wanted to be held. The minute her body would touch something....as in putting her down....she'd start crying. So I held her. Got a body sling so I could do things during the day. I really had no problem with it. I was one to never let my kids cry. And today they are very close to me emotionally, but very independent in their lives away from me (they're 29 & 26).
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:31 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• ... easier! LOL got cut off.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 2:31 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• It probably doesn't have to do with him breastfeeding, some babies just love being held all the time. Invest in a sling or a wrap (I loved the Mobywrap because it really supports the baby in all sorts of positions)... For nighttime, you should only be cosleeping if it's what YOU want to do. I'm not at all against it, but it's safest when it's a choice. My husband and I did not feel comfortable, but we were kind of stuck doing it for the first 5 or 6 weeks with my first daughter because we couldn't get her to stay asleep for even 5 minutes on her back. We finally realized she just needed to be tightly swaddled (we thought earlier on she didn't like it, but around 6 wks tried it again with one of those Swaddle Me blankets from Babies R us) and it did wonders for us. It's also ok for your baby to sleep in a swing. Don't let ANYONE tell you your baby is clingy because you're nursing. You're doing the best thing by breastfeeding.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:08 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• get a sling so you can have the baby and have your hands free
    Anonymous

• It's normal. Go with it mama, your child needs your comfort and reassurance a lot in the first few months. This world is so new to him and the only thing he's used to is your voice, hearbeat and warmth. It may or may not be because your breastfeeding. Every baby is different no matter what their fed, maybe this baby is just a little more dependent than the last(totally okay).

I'd recommend getting a sling or wrap and wearing your baby.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 3:45 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I agree with collinsky--be a babywearer!! Slings are AWESOME!
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 1:39 AM on Apr. 23, 2009