Help to calm a fussy baby.

My son is 2 months old. For the past 2 weeks he cries a lot in the evening it usually lasts for a half hour to one hour. It usually happens after he stays awake for a few hours. I tried everything I can think of to soothe him. I walk the floor, sing to him, I used a rocking chair, I tried giving him a bath. I've even tried giving him a pacifier, but he wont take one. After he cries for half hour to hour he is fine. He will eat and go to sleep. I hate to let him cry it out, I feel so bad for him. Does anyone have suggestions on how to soothe him, or should I just keep letting him cry it out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it might be gas
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 2:31 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• He might have gas give him some baby gas medicine or maybe the formula does not agree with his tummy , you might need to try several brands right before he's happy (he doesn't feel full yet) add plenty of baby cereal and some baby fruit in it, make it tasty. And make sure his diaper tapes are not poking his tummy, that I am sure is so uncomfortable. GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:33 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• That just could be his stress relieving time since he is doing it the same time everyday. My daughter did the same thing about the same age. She would be really fussy and cry every evening around the same time. I tried everything. Sometimes I could take her outside and walk around with her and she would settle down. Alot of times though that didn't work. My ped said it was normal with some babies. That as long as you had checked the obivous diaper, feeding, no hairs wrapped around toes, fingers etc, then just lay her down and let her cry it out and go do dishes or laundry or something. She eventually stopped it about 3 1/2-4months old.
    scrappincrazee

Answer by scrappincrazee at 3:11 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• gas drop him up.. also bath him at night and put him down.. warm water should sooth him..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 3:19 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Ask your doctor about colic. It usually appears a few weeks after birth. Also, before offering infant cereal or any other foods check with you doc. Introducing foods other than formula too early can cause eating disorders, food allergies, and irritated bowel. It can also block up baby's intestines and cause a lot of pain. Try giving baby a warm bath when he gets fussy. Also, if weather permits take baby for a walk in a stroller. Fresh air and the rhythm of the stroller can calm baby.  Make sure to give baby a very good burping. Good luck!

Anonymous

• does he have problems eating? he could have acid reflux like my son. or he might have gas. give him mylicon gas drops in the baby isle. its like 5 dollars. if that doesnt help try so adult mylanta found in the anti acids isle. these helped my baby a little but his doctor had to eventually put him on prescription zantac. hes a mess. hes only 2 months old as well
    Itssambaybee

Answer by Itssambaybee at 3:50 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• If it happens after he is up for a little while maybe he is just a little over tired or over stimulated and not sure how to fall asleep on his own. Good luck.
    Melissa6280

Answer by Melissa6280 at 3:53 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• He's too young to let him cry it out. It could be a colic issue if it seems to happen at regular times in the evenings. My son had terrible colic and they do sell Gripe water you can try - I ended up bringing my son to a chiropractor after 4 months of 14 hours a day of crying with "Colic" just be pateint and ask for him. you are doing all that really can be done. Email anytime if you want support. I know how hard it can be
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:37 PM on Apr. 22, 2009