Do you hate forwards too? How to stop false ones?

I hate, hate, hate email forwards. There's never been a faster way to spread harmful and useless rumors than with the invention of the internet. Some email forwards are harmful and pointless. Others misinform American citizens about the companies they support, get people up-in-arms about false information and undeservingly damage reputations.

I have family members and friends that will receive these forwards and get all nuts about them (with no research on their part as to the validity before doing their part to spread the lie) and will forward them to every Tom, Dick and Harry in their address books (including myself).

How can you respectfully let someone know that they're contributing to rumors and misinformation? No matter how many times I ask, they still send me the forwards they think are "important."

(Examples, the FCC is removing Christian broadcasting, Starbucks doesn't support our troops ect.)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Relationships

• My uncle was bad about that and would upset the rest of my family with these crazy emails. I would just look the email up on snopes and forward him the link that says it was false. He eventually got the idea and started checking things out himself before sending. You could try that approach and if it still doesn't work, just understand that you can't control other people and block the emails. It drives me crazy too!
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 4:20 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• (OP here, I'm Anon because I don't want my fam to see me asking this about them).
    Anonymous

• I finally made a family member angry enough he took me off his email list. I would continually send him back links to 'the real story" or 'the whole story" , Snopes or whatever I had to punch holes in his email. False email Fwds irritate me like little else. The other one I get about twice a year is how congress doesn't pay into Social Security. That USED to be true but hasn't been for YEARS and YEARS..yet the hyped email still swirls around thanks to the lazy and the ignorant.
    Anonymous

• Block them. You can set your spam to block out any thing with fwd in the subject line.
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 2:58 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• they're fffffffffcking ANNOYING. spam them ;)
    kylesboo

Answer by kylesboo at 4:55 PM on Apr. 22, 2009