my 5 month old has eczema what should i use?

michele101183

Asked by michele101183 at 2:35 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Buy a humidifier because it does wonders for extra dry skin!! Check this out.

Anonymous

• I had to buy the pot of eucerin for my dd. It is hard to put on because it is so thick but it was the only thing that worked for us. I never had to get a prescription.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:38 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My g-son has it bad too. Dermatology recommended we put Aveeno lotion (light blue cap) for babies that is hypoallergenic. No dyes or perfumes in it. It has made a big day to day difference. We use a perscription called Verdeso Foam for hot spots. Also limit bathing. It over drys the skin. Using wash soap like All Free and Clear helps prevent detergents from further irritating sensitive skin.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Cetaphil. You can get it at walgreens or walmart. It's super easy on the skin and won't dry them out. My son had it when he was tiny too.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 2:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My baby's dermatologist told me to use Aquafor to moisturize him and then prescribed me an ointment for some area that are worst. She also told us to use Cetaphil instead of soap for bath time. Both you can find at any grocery. Also, if the bath water is too warm, that may make the eczema worst.
    DavineandLiam

Answer by DavineandLiam at 2:43 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• aveno is what i use with my two.. they have bleeding spells so i cant risk it.. they have a lotion and a wash.. its just about 5-6 bucks.. but wonders i tell ya.. wonders
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 3:18 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Vaseline. We were using Aquaphor, but the derm said Vaseline is the same. My DD also uses a RX for flare ups, but just vaseline for general maintnence.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:00 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Vaseline and aquaphor are not the same. Vaseline is petroleum jelly. Aquaphor has petroleum in it but also has other ingredients in it.
    My DD's doc said NO petroleum products for her eczema. We use Medela Advanced nipple therapy lanolin. It works wonders!!! Her cheeks were clear within a few hours! Lanolin is made from the oils that sheep's skin produces in the wool. (So it's completely natural) and it's the same kind of oils we make in our own skin, which is what eczema lacks. Plus, Medela's lanolin has beta glucan in it which has healing and antibacterial agents in it. Beta glucan comes from wheat, so again, all-natural!
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 1:36 AM on Apr. 23, 2009