Dishes in his bedroom how do I make it stop

My 15 yr boy must be eating at night after we go to bed. Every morning there are dishes and glasses all over his room. How do I make this stop? HELP

dillonsma

Asked by dillonsma at 2:36 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• get a lock for your frig.
    Anonymous

• Tell him that if he is going to eat after you go to bed then he needs to clean up after himself. If he doesn't ground him or taking something away thats important to him.
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 2:43 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• LOL im 21 and im STILL doing that.
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 2:48 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• tell him he needs to clean his dishes in the morning or you will lock the fridge. my daughter is really bad about leaving cups all over her room. It's just not a battle worth fighting about here. She's got boys on the mind and other teen drama, so fussing at her about the cups just isn't worth it. When she has about 4 in there and no place to put the next one she just took out she will bring the 4 into the kitchen and wash them.

www.RamblingsOFaSAHM.com
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 3:37 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Thanks Vanessa, I am trying to choose my battles, but he does not really care if his room is a pig sty or not. I am trying to teach him to clean up after himself but ...... I guess I have to choose my battles as this one is not that bad.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 3:43 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My son does the same thing. He is required to take the dishes to the sink every day and I will not pick up after him. It took a week and a half for him to pick up his dirty laundry ! He is responsible for his stuff. If I don't do this now ... he will not be a well functioning young adult when he leaves home.

You cannot do everything for them at this age otherwise you are preparing them to expect their future wife to do everything for them and I do not want my DIL to be mad at me for not teaching him lol
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:13 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Is he watching a television in his room, talking on a phone or going on a computer? If so, I would give him a warning then those things would disappear. You have a right to expect a room without garbage and dirty dishes. He is a big boy. Get tough.........grannywilson
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 8:12 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I would make him bring them down and wash them himself every day or two. Maybe he will start bringing them down all on his own.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:15 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Tell him what the house rules are. If he violates them again, start taking away the stuff that you have bought for him. You can start with the obvious--t.v., c.d. player, game systems. If taking those don't work, keep upping the ante until he gets down to sleeping on the floor with two outfits hanging in his closet. The problem is that he does not respect your authority, and he needs to be taught to do so. When they get to be teens, it's a little hard to warp their behinds, so you will have to do something which gains his attention. That would most likely be his "stuff."
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:28 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• Lock it up.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 10:14 AM on Apr. 23, 2009