What should he eat first?

My son is 3 months and his pedi. said he is ready to eat solids :-) He is a big boy! So we did cereal for a week and was told to add a friut or veggie this week... what one should we start with? What did you moms start with?? Any advice would be great! Thanks!!

ashley_hatty

Asked by ashley_hatty at 2:47 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Our first fruits were: Pears and Applesauce

Veggies: Carrots, Sweet potatoes and squash.

GL!
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 3:03 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I started both my kids on bananas. Cuz they seem to taste the best. lol. Mine also started on food when they were about 3 1/2 months old. I had big babies too. So I would say bananas or peaches. Those are the tastiest. My son won't eat green beans or peas though. Spits them right out with a gross face. Any other veggie he'll eat.
    Kaytlynsmommy

Answer by Kaytlynsmommy at 2:51 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My one and only son is only 2 months. So hopefully someone has some advice from experience. However, I was told when we start to add foods to his diet to start with veggies because they're more bland and bitter and if we start with fruits that are sweet then he won't eat his vegetables. Like I said, I don't know from experience but it makes sense to me.
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 2:51 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Really at 3 months. My doctor said to not even consider cereal until 4 months and that ideally you should wait until 6 months. Less chance of food allergy that way.

But if you are going to: ripe avocado, ripe banana, sweet potatoes, peas, pears
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 2:52 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Carrots were the first thing I started with my daughter. Her doctor told us to start with orange foods. Then we went on to green foods and so on.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 2:52 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• This is not to be rude (there was just a post about how rude people are), but 3 months sounds really early to me... I'm surprised the pedi recommended that, since the current AAP recommendation is 4-6 months and more and more leaning toward 6 months. I would keep it very limited for a long while and make sure he's getting PLENTY of breastmilk or formula. When we did start introducing fruits and veggies to our girls, we did this order -- carrots, pears, squash, applesauce, peas, etc.. OUr pedi suggested starting with the yellow veggies and "white" fruits because they're the most benign, least likely to cause allergies, etc.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:56 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• The pedi wants to start him on it, because he is on prune juice for his belly and is starting to turn his nose up at the formula, so he eats very little, like as much as a NB, and was eating great even though he is on special formula, due to allergies. She wants him to get every nutrient he needs. He weighs 13+ pounds and eats about 10 ounces of formula a day and 4 ounces of prune juice...
    ashley_hatty

Answer by ashley_hatty at 2:59 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• cereal, mash taters, get those dinners for kids..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 3:16 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I bought two jars of each stage 2 single ingredient food. (same as stage 1 but bigger jar...more cost effective...and this gave me 4 meals for each food..so 4 days of trial)

I put them in the cupboard in alphabetical order. Then started with the "A" food and went through the shelf.

No reason. But it worked! LOL
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:21 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Your pedi is an idiot. Your child's main source of nutrition should come from breastmilk or formula up until age one, and he should not be getting anything but formula or breastmilk until at least six months of age. He needs to be getting at LEAST 24 ounces of formula a day.

I'd find a new doctor.
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 3:32 PM on Apr. 22, 2009