Need help with ideas on how to decorate classroom door!!

I am the homeroom mom for my son's 4th grade class. I am in charge of decorating her classroom door for Teacher Appreciation Week on May 4th and really have no idea where to begin. She loves science so I was hoping to get original ideas on a theme I could use. She also loves books and reading. Help!

mlquessen

Asked by mlquessen at 2:59 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• What about using "bookworm" as the theme? Do you want to get the students involved? Have them each write the title of their favorite book on a piece of construction paper. Use those as the "books", then put a little black construction paper circle on it and have a green worm sticking out, maybe wearing a scholar cap, lol. Have the child's name on the worm. Have the whole door covered in books/bookworms. That's the best I could do, best wishes! Hope it turns out fab!
    PenelopesMom

Answer by PenelopesMom at 3:05 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Okay, I have another, lol! Since she likes science, I think having a microscope (made out of paper) on the door would be cute, and you could have each student decorate a "microscope slide" to add to the door. Or, you could make microscope slides yourself if this is a surprise to her and the students both. Glue a leaf to one, draw and amoeba on another, etc...
    PenelopesMom

Answer by PenelopesMom at 3:07 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I was going to suggest a large tree with apples on it with students name and maybe picture, but you could do a large apple and the worms coming out of it and let all the kids decorate their own worm to look like themselves?

Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 4:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• A bookworm and books is a great idea. Have the kids make bookjackets that describe what they like the best about their teacher, why they appreciate her.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Thank you for all of the responses. I definitely have some ideas flowing now. :)
    mlquessen

Answer by mlquessen at 10:11 AM on Apr. 23, 2009