Was Mary really a virgin?-all faiths welcome

I know that the Bible says she was a virgin. But, with all that we know in modern times, there are valid explanations for this situation...

Was Mary examined by someone and still had her hymen intact? (either before or after her marriage to Joseph and the pregnancy)

It is actually possible for someone to have penetration and still keep part of the hymen. Rare, but then wouldn't that make the miricle story that more plausible?

And it is possible to become pregnant without penetration/intercourse and there have been modern day girls who become pregnant while still technically virgins.

So, why are we so accepting that Mary was a virgin? And if she was, then there are still explanations.

Wouldn't Jesus still have been just as inspiring even if he was concieved naturally? In fact, even more so, since he came from the same origins as everyone else?

Just some thoughts for discussion...Be nice, please!

ozarkgirl3

Asked by ozarkgirl3 at 3:02 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Nope. She shacked up early and got a very special and important gift from her partner, just like I did. No big deal. Her son was special, sure, did great things, sure. Mine's special, too, and he'll do plenty of great things in his time WITHOUT inciting a religion that will later breed hatred and bigotry across the world. :-)

Or, at least, I'll try to make sure he doesn't do that last bit. Hmm. Guess I need to add "no religious revolutions, please" to his rule chart at home.
    nuclear_sugar

Answer by nuclear_sugar at 5:42 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• There WAS a text saying that a woman stuck her finger inside of her to make sure she was a virgin. For some odd reason, it was left out of the bible.

I'm not sure that Mary existed, and if she did, I would bet that she was NOT a virgin in the sense that she was impregnated by some entity.
    Anonymous

• http://www.davidmacd.com/catholic/mary_conceived_without_sin_immaculate_conception.htm
    Anonymous

• I'll go so far as to say that I think there are ways she could have been impregnated by a mortal man keeping her hymen intact...maybe I'm just more imaginative than most..
    Anonymous

• IMO she was not. I believe that it is something that was added to make Jesus even more amazing and devine.
    hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 3:12 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My friend got pregnant without having intercourse and losing her virginity(ya I know there are naysayers but they dont know her, I do).
    I figure Mary probably was. Just the time period alone and what that meant tells me she more than likely was.
    Ive never heard of anyone checking the hyman but that wouldnt surprise me at all either since women were more like cattle at that point in time.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:15 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• If she had a baby, she had sperm fertilize her egg. Period. Whether it was by penetration from a penis or some other wacky way I can't fathom, I guess that remains to be told. I don't think she was a virgin. I'm pretty sure they didn't have turkey basters back then.

I guess that brings up more food for thought, though. If you never have sexual intercourse, and then you have artificial insemination, you're technically having a baby and still being a virgin, right? LOL. I've never comtemplated it this way. What do you consider a virgin? I consider it someone who's had sexual penetration of some sort.

Anyway, have at it. I'm an Atheist, so I have no affiliation or feelings toward Mary. I just wanted to offer my opinion on whether a person can have a baby and still be a virgin.
    PenelopesMom

Answer by PenelopesMom at 3:19 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Yes
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 3:19 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I don't believe Mary was a virgin in the "sexual sense" but a virgin in spirit, meaning she was PURE in spirit. I do believe that she was impregnated the "usual" way but to believe that her baby was to be special, that would've taken someone who was pure in spirit.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 3:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• If you want to get technical " virgin" translates to young girl also. It may have had nothing to do with sex at the time and may have just meant she was young in years. So the first teen pregnancy maybe. Don't care in the least if she was or wasn't because it's just another story in a book of fiction to me. And it is a popular myth to be born of a virgin so why not.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:48 PM on Apr. 22, 2009