Is a Pap Smear Safe When TTC?

I know it's okay to have one when you are pregnant (or at least my doc did one when I should have been 7.5wks - miscarried that one and she never sent it to the lab which is why I have to do it again), but I wasn't sure if it is okay to have one when you are TTC and your appointment falls in your cycle at 7dpo.

I read that implantation takes place at 6-12dpo. Could a pap smear at that time cause problems with implantation should I have been blessed to conceive?

Learning2Hope

Asked by Learning2Hope at 3:02 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• Me personally wouldn't have it done if all your paps have come back normal the dr can wait. I wouldn't let my dr do one on me and i was 6wks preg and i was due for pap. I told him there was no way I was having one done because i've had friends that had them done and lost their babies. Not everyone loses their baby's but some do so if you know you have been safe with sex and that sort of stuff and all paps have been normal I'd say wait because it's only 9months from time you get preg. I'm ttc and due for one in nov but i ain't having one due until after wards.
    pandora09

Answer by pandora09 at 3:35 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• If you ABSOLUTELY have cause to worry that you have cervical cancer, it might be in your best interest to do one. Otherwise, let it wait. Anything that goes in there and disturbs the cervix is potentially harmful, no matter how "sterile" or carefuPr
    MommaBear619

Answer by MommaBear619 at 4:31 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• If you're last pap smear was last year and normal, then I would postpone it. Try and schedule it for when you aren't in the two week wait (if you have pretty regular cycles), and if you're not pregnant right now! I would also postpone it until after the baby is born.
    Good luck! I hope you are preggers! :)
    Erin1108

Answer by Erin1108 at 9:47 PM on Apr. 22, 2009