Where to begin?

I keep saying today is the day for working out and it never does.
I just am so tired of bending over to tie shoes or what have you and there is that tire tube in my way I hate it I try but it does not last for long I give in to my old habits....Help! (Me and everyone else here)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Sometimes the whole "jumping in head first" tactic freaks us out. Your approach to fitness doesn't hav e to be all-or-nothing. Start out small and build on it. And most importantly, don't be impatient. It took me 9 months to lose 35 lbs, but I just kept trucking away at it and it happened! Try setting a goal for this week that's easily attainable, set yourself up for success. Tell yourself, "This week, I'm going to make sure to drink the proper amount of water each day". Do nothing else but concentrate on that goal. Next week, tell yourself, "I'm going to power walk 30 minutes on Tuesday and Thursday". Then make sure to do it. BABY steps, honey.

You can soooooooooo totally do this. That tire is history!
    PenelopesMom

Answer by PenelopesMom at 3:23 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Try and find a buddy that's in the same boat as you and y'all can workout together and be each others support. Try joining a gym and go to classes that help motivate you. If you can't afford a gym, go on a walk together. The weather is getting nicer out since its spring time.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 3:24 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I agree - both about hating that tire and about the baby steps!

Make small changes:
    Start by taking a look at your portions. Don't change what you eat, just how much. Then next week start eating a healthy breakfast. The change your snacks. Then change your lunch. Then dinner. Only one per week.
    That first week, decide to park at the back end of the parking lot instead of fighting for the closest space. Next week, start standing on one foot whenever you have to wait in a line. Then add in some arm curls - using cans of soup as weights - during the commercials of a TV show. Try sitting on an exercise ball while you watch TV.
    If you want to try to speed things up, set a weekly goal: One good walk each week. Once that seems easier to attain, add a second one. If you don't reach this extra goall each week, remember it's a bonus. The other changes matter more.

Little changes make a HUGE difference.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:34 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• You have several options.
    Plan exercise time; you can hire a sitter for an hour or trade child care with a friend.

Exercise with your kids; most libraries have DVD rentals, look for kids exercise videos and do them with your kids. If you find one that you really like, go out and buy it.

Take your kids out for a walk, or jog in place when you take them to the park. When you think about exercising, do something for 5 minutes: run in place, jumpingjacks, etc.

Don't try to start big! Start small and it will come.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:33 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I agree with setting small goals at first. Drink 1/2 your body weight in water & do stretches DAILY!!! If you do just those 2 things for 1 week then you probably feel a desire to add something else in there on week 2 like walking 30 minutes every day along with your stretching & water.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:25 AM on Apr. 23, 2009