Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CPS Knocking my door. How worried I should be?

Me and my husband had an altercation a couple of weeks before and I cut my wrist as I was so angry and didn't realize I would cut so hard, my husband called 911 and they took me to the hospital and I had a surgery. My kids were at home when this happened, but they were playing in their bedroom and they came out only when the cops came in. Now, I got a call from CPS and have an appointment with them this Friday as they said they got information about child abuse. Not sure why they think the children were abused. Can someone throw some light here? I am really worried if they see us as one among those child abusers and take our children away. We rarely fight this was an accident.
I posted this as a comment to another post already. Still wanted to ask the same again here.

Answer Question

Asked by maddypremi at 3:49 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • Well they might just want you to take some parenting classes or anger managment or something...

    If you didnt abuse your child.. dont worry :d
    Good luck

    Answer by mommyofAurora at 3:51 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

  • CPS will come in, check out your home and make sure that it is clean, that there is not visual signs of abuse (bruises on the children, etc.) make sure all your Nazi stuff is put away (kidding!) and things like that, and you will be fine.

    On another note, you might want to go to counseling for that cutting stuff - that is not healthy.

    Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:51 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

  • They probably want to make sure that everything is as it should be. However, some places do consider arguing in front of ur children abuse. Also, you cutting yourself could do some harm to them as well. I wouldn't worry though, especially if this is a one time thing.

    Answer by TheDiva320 at 3:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

  • I'm more concerned that you kinda wrote off the whole cutting your wrist issue. You should get help for that.
    If your children have not been abused you will probably be okay with CPS.

    Answer by MamaChamp at 4:07 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

  • If you cooperate, I don't think it will be an issue. But you should be ordered to counceling, and it sounds like you both need it. I am not bashing, but if you were upset enough to cut yourslef, or to threaten you husband with hurting yourself... either way, that shows some sereious emotional issues that need to be resolved. Children subjected to that kind of drama can develop major emotional issues.

    Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:13 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

  • you shouldnt have cut your wrist...when you have kids anyway..... you live for them ...not for your husband.... you say it was an accident...but its not an accident......when you harm yourself...

    you need counsling....

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

  • I agree with MamaChamp. You should seek counseling if you're go as far as cutting your wrists. No one accidentally cuts their wrists. Live for yourself and your children, not for anyone who drives you to a suicide attempt.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

  • Go ahead and be completely honest with them, CPS isn't looking to take kids from homes where they are not being abused. But they might want to work with you on whatever issue made you cut yourself during a fight with your husband. They may order you into counseling. Frankly, and I say this as a woman who has had problems of her own, that type of behavior is a big problem and it will cause your kids big problems too.


    Answer by dreyamom at 5:05 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

  • Make sure you read this!! before meeting with them!

    Answer by Babylove76 at 5:21 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

  • Most of these people who are giving you advise have probably never dealt with cps * consider your source. CPS will meet with you tell you that you have domestic violence in your home and you need to protect your kids. They will pick an abuser either you or your husband and side with who they perceive as the victim. You'll probably have an open case meaning you'll have to jump through hoops like parenting classes, therapy , domestic violence awareness classes, you might even have to separate from you spouse for a while or risk loosing your kids. How to deal with them GET A LAWYER and don't talk to them with out one~ try reading


    Answer by babyfat5 at 5:53 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.