CIO/Ferberizing Q?

I tried for so long to get my son to sleep without crying, but nothing worked, so i decided to try CIO. It's been working pretty well at night, but not so well for naps...
He used to sleep for 2 naps a total of 2-3 hrs...now he sleeps about 1.5-2 hrs total. I'm sure it's because it's all so hard for him.
He sleeps great at night now, he's down at 8pm and sleeps all the way to 530am/6am...but naps are a very different story.
My question is: for the cio moms, did the eventually sleep longer for naps and not cry at all when you set them in a crib?

DONOT respond with how horrible of a mother i am and all that. This is already very hard for me and like i said i tried everyhting else for over 6 months!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nap times and lengths vary a lot during the first year. The change may be simply that he is getting better (and more) sleep at night so he needs less in the day. He may also be working towards dropping one of his naps. Mine went from 3 naps to 2 naps at about 8 months and then from 2 to 1 at 14 months. There is no set age for them to do this, the only real guide is that nearly all are down to 1 nap by 18 months and naps are usually gone by 4 years.

I'd say just let him do what he wants to do and see what develops.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:32 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• i did a lighter version of cio, allowing my son some time to fuss, but I'd pick him up if he wanted it, and fed him if he was hungry. and if he continued fussing or esclated to a cry i'd check up in him after like 5 minutes. he slept through the night very well at about 9 m/o. but I never did it for naps. I basically go with the flow and if he shows tired cues is when I lay him down instead of laying him down his "usual time". it kinda just fell into a regular time on its own and that's what works for us! he sleeps very good at naptime. yes he has his moments of fussing, and if he doesnt seem tired passed the time he "usually" naps is when I'll lay him down. he might fuss for a while but then realize he's tired and conveniently in his crib and fall asleep fine on his own!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:20 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I usually nursed my baby to sleep for naps because she just wouldn't soothe herself to sleep for naps. And then eventually she wouldn't fall asleep nursing anymore (around 10-11 months?) and then she didn't cry either. Sorry, not much help... Word of advice -- I'd close this question once you get a helpful response because the allegations that you're abusing your child will come eventually...
    Anonymous

• I don't do CIO, I don't agree with it...BUT...you don't say how old the little one is, so it could be that he is fazing out the amount of sleep he needs, at about 7-9 months a lot of babies do better with one long nap versus two medium naps. Since you say you have tried the other methods for over six months, I would bet he is a little older. Try to adjust his schedule and see if that will help, also try to keep a similar routine to the one you use at night.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:27 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• If he is sleeping better at night maybe he doesn't need as long of naps anymore. My son has always taken shorter naps.
    Melissa6280

Answer by Melissa6280 at 4:29 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I don't think you need to leave your child in bed for anywhere near 2 hours for a nap if s/he is not sleeping! I agree, it could be time to try cutting out one nap. But if baby hasn't slept after 30 minutes (for under 12 months) or an hour (if baby's old enough to be reasoned with), I would surely get him out of his crib and try for a nap later.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 4:42 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• After I did this with my son I found that doing one nap instead of two worked wonders. Do it at a time about in between where the two naps were. It helped a lot! Good luck!!
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 4:56 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• In response to EmilySusan: When I said I didn't get them up until 2hrs later, I meant their naptime was only for 2 hrs. I did not make them cio for 2hrs straight. I do agree with you that you should get them up after 30min if they're not sleeping. IF they're not asleep by then, they just won't nap. If they do fall asleep within that 30min, then I would not get them up until naptime was over. I would never get them out of bed BEFORE that alotted time. Again, the length of their naptime was 2hrs. Now once they hit a certain age and when they became ready to drop the nap, they would fight the naps all together or give me trouble going down at night. That's when I would adjust the schedule accordingly. So sorry I should have been more specific and more clear with my answer.
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 4:58 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• i agree with ZaTa my dd is 10mos and has completely cut out 1 of her naps. she now naps from 2-4 and thats it and goes to bed at 10. I have tried earlier bedtimes but she uses them as naps lol and wakes up at 1 ready to party! and i dont do CIO at night really i do my own version. I put her in her pack n play (thats where she sleeps next to my bed) come out in the living room, let the dogs out, make a bottle, clean up all in all it takes about 10 minutes and during that time she fusses and MOST not all nights by the time my teeth are brushed and face washed she is sound asleep. It is also helping me prep her for bedtime without a bottle
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 5:03 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• naps were a MAJOR battle with my son. I started the CIO method at 8 months old. He started sleeping through the night but battled long afterwards with naps - I read on it and naps and bedtime are totally different things. I still let my son CIO for his naps but he would only sleep at home. When my mom had him during the day he continued to only take 1 20 minute nap for months and months. it wasn't until he was around 14 months things changed and he took longer naps. He is now at a daycare center during his naptime and would actually lay on a cot.... to my MUCH Surprise for an hour at a time. But I will tell you it was a battle long after he could sleep through the night.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:34 PM on Apr. 22, 2009