One more thing on the interview question

When it came to talking about the salry the asked me what my expctations were and i said that i made $10.50 now but i would be willing to take a pay cut because of all the benefits thay had. I said i would hope for at least $9.00. Then the lady said oh, well it was $12.50. I was like oh great. Do you think i messed up there and if i get the job they will start me at 9.00 because that is what i said i would be willing to work for or will get at least what i am makin now? I swear i can really put my foot in my mouth but i didn't want to sound like i expected too much. A lot of companies start you out on the low end.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• I had almost the same type of things happen about a month ago. I didn't end up getting the job. BUT... They asked how much I expected and I basically just told them how much I made at the last job and that I really wasn't coming in with any expectations since I KNEW I was paid higher than average. They told me that they also pay higher than average, but no actual number. If they hire you, it would be for probably a balance of where they "normally" pay and what your experience warrants you be paid.
    AND. With mine, I was standing at the door and they were talking about the continuing education benefits they have, and I said, "I love that benefit. I get bored easily and my husband is getting tired of me changing jobs so frequently when I lose interest in what I'm doing!!!!" I realized it immediately and started stumbling thru an explanation. But. Who know's what they are thinking. Good luck to you. I hope you find the job u want
    crazybeautifulh

Answer by crazybeautifulh at 4:45 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Of course I'm only guessing, but if you get the job they may start you at 10.50 but IDK. Sucks that you told them lower than they were offering.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:45 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Why do they bother to ask if they don't even tell you what their starting pay is?
    If you knew what their starting pay was, then you could come up with a figure based on your experience.
    I have no clue how to respond to this interview question when it comes time for me to begin my job searching.
    Do any professionals out there, especially people who conduct the interviews, have any tips on this topic?
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 4:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I would see what they start you at. You can always ask for an amount in between. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• When asked the dreaded salary question, always respond by asking what the budgeted salary range is? Never be the first to mention money.
    I do interview coaching in Chicago, and am always happy to answer job hunting questions for my cafemom friends.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:38 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I did that once, and they started me out at the amount they said.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:30 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Not sure how this one will work out for you...but if you DON"t get the job, and you interview elsewhere, and the same question comes up, you should ask them FIRST what the salary range is, instead of volunteering what you will or will not accept.

Another thing that MAY not work in your favor with this job, is employers use that question to gauge how confident you are for the job you're seeking. A confident candidate will state unequivocally what they made in the past, and what they expect to make now--because you have experience, and you're damn good at what you do!!! :o)

By stating you made a certain amount, but are willing to go lower, gives the interviewer the impression of desperation and lack of confidence--even if that's true, you don't want your future employer to know that--at least during the interview phase! Sometimes being TOO accommodating can backfire. If you're the best candidate, it will come across!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:45 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• When it comes to answering this kind of question as a business owner I want to hear how much you think you are worth! Not how much you will settle for. If I were in this interview I would have said something more like this. My expectation would be to make $50 per hour what are you paying & what benefits are you offering that may get me close to that $50 per hour? Of course I would also have made sure I show them why I would be of great value for their company.

This is not out of arrogance! This is out of how much do you value you & are committed to be a valuable employee.

As the employer I would say something like thank you & we are highering for $12.50 per hour with benefits that would get you to about $20 per hour would that be acceptable to you? Then you have the choice to decide less or not.

Enjoy the interview process. If you act desperate we know it! If you act confidently about your skill & value we like it!
    LegacyKimberley

Answer by LegacyKimberley at 11:52 AM on Apr. 25, 2009