• In the Spotlight:

What can I do to keep my 3 year old in her car seat?

She pulls her arms out of the straps and sometimes unsnaps the chest snap thing. I did have her in a buster seat but she just got completly out out it and moved around to car. She is also starting to open the door when the car is stopped and rolls down the window. What can I do to stop these things? I've tried everything I can think.

annamiller06

Asked by annamiller06 at 4:53 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Just press the issue that it is so unsafe. We explained to our son who is now 4 (almost 5) after a friend of our family got in a accident last year and was very hurt. We make him ask if he can get unbuckled or roll down the window, etc.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 4:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• or pull over and not move till she gets back in her seat and buckles up..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 4:59 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• If her carseat is tightened enough, she shouldn't be able to get her arms out.

Do you have child safety locks in your car? That could keep her from opening the door. Most cars have window locks too. Or maybe you could put her in the middle of the car?
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 5:01 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Maybe you should try tightening up her car seat straps. Not so much they are hurting her, just snug enough to be safe. If she is able to get her arms out chances are they are to loose anyway.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Yea..... We've done all of that over and over and she dosn't listen. I'm afaid she has some kid of listen problum or something so won't do noting we tell her to do or not to do no mater how many times we tell her to or not to do it. You can spank her for it and she will just go do it again!
    annamiller06

Answer by annamiller06 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Turn around and take her home. If you can, leave without her and tell her why when she throws a fit.

While you're doing this, try instilling the "stop" or "no" command. It sounds harsh at first, but it's really effective if you start early enough and remain consistant. Not *every* the time of course, there's that whole 'let's see how far I can go' phase.

If she has a nickname, don't use it for discipline. Sounds odd but it works. We've averted at least two serious injuries, one of them with a bottle of bleach that she was about to spray into her open mouth. She was 2 at the time.
    MizKizzy

Answer by MizKizzy at 5:10 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• ok people not be be a b**** but, no i don't have none one the lock things on my car becaue it is a old car and a pice of crap, i can't put her seat in the middle becaue i have another carseat on the other side and she seat won't fit in the middle and if it would she would be picking on and takeing things from my 10 month old, and her straps on her carseat are as tight as they can go without hurting her if they were any tighter i couldn't even get her in or out of it myself. so now what???? OH YEA, I FORGOT THIS PART SHE UNBUCKLES HER CAR SEAT FROM THE CAR TOO AND I DON'T EVEN NOTICE IT MOST OF THE TIME UNTILL I GO TO GET HER SEAT OUT AND MOVE IT TO A DIFFERENT CAR!!!!!!!!!
    annamiller06

Answer by annamiller06 at 5:14 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• We have pulled over, spanked our kids and put them back in. Doesn't take long for them to get it.
    Anonymous

• Are you giving her negative consequences? Honestly, if my three year old did that, we would stop until she was rebuckled and we wouldn't move unless she was properly seated. If that meant leaving the house half an hour early, so be it.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 5:26 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• you can spank her 1000 times a day for the same thing and she will just keep doing that same thing over and over.
    annamiller06

Answer by annamiller06 at 5:28 PM on Apr. 22, 2009