Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I see a doctor, or self-treat recurring pain in wrist?

For several months now I've had mild to severe pain in my left wrist. There is no swelling or bruising, no recent injury and I've even made sure that the pain isn't simply from sleeping on it. The pain comes and goes, sometimes lasting only a few days or as much as a few weeks at a time. Also at times it can be a numbing tolerable pain to unbearable from even the slightest movement. I've tried icing it and keeping it thickly wrapped to avoid having to bend my wrist in any way. It seems to start in the end of the bone where my wrist meets my hand and then spreads through my hand to my middle finger and "pointer" finger. Generic pain relievers sometimes manage the severe pain to manageable, but never lasts more than an hour or two. I'm not sure if the problem is in my bones or perhaps in the nerves, I was also looking for any opinions on what else I could try to lessen the pain or if it is something I should see a doctor about.

Answer Question

Asked by momof2inCT2007 at 5:11 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Health

Level 16 (2,733 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • You should consult your Dr ASAP. Why? Because as an educated nurse I left my own carpal tunnel essentially untreated for years. I now have permanent nerve damage in both hands from it. I'm not trying to insinuate that is what you have. Regardless of what the diagnosis is treatment sooner than later is always wise. I could kick myself in the rear for delaying my own treatment.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

  • It sounds like carpal tunnel syndrome to me, too, but I am not a physician.
    Also, many years ago, when I experienced recurring pain in my right wrist with tingling sensations that travelled, I thought it was carpal tunnel syndrome, but then a lump began to show and, over time, grew larger. I had a gangloid cyst. The physician I saw wanted to take care of it (I don't remember how because this was over 20 years ago), but someone said they heard of an old-fashioned remedy for such a thing and it worked. LOL.....she placed a book on the glangloid cyst, hit it hard, and within a few weeks it was gone....LOL....truly!
    Anyhow, be sure to go see a physician as soon as you can to get that checked out. If you have a pinched nerve and it doesn't get treated, it could actually become permanently damaged.
    Best wishes!

    Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:09 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

  • Sounds like carpal tunnel syndrome. You should see a doctor, if you keep waiting it will make it worse and you may end up needing surgery to fix it.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:12 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.