Do you think it's tacky to throw yourself a baby shower?

My first had to get cancelled because I was on bedrest, but I got all the gifts afterward, when I had my son. With my daughter, my friends were all busy getting ready to move (we were all military spouses), and I felt tacky asking them to throw one for me, and even tackier doing it for myself. I felt like I was being a greedy witch! LOL
What do you think? Tacky or no? This was a second baby, different sex, and would have been the first baby shower.

debra_benge

Asked by debra_benge at 5:16 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• I am throwning myself one. I just feel bad asking anyone else to do it. So I REALLY hope its not tacky!
    Sbahns

Answer by Sbahns at 5:18 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• No I dont think its tacky at all. Its just like throwing yourself any other party.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 5:19 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Wow Ummm not to hurt anyones feelings.....but it is way tacky to do it for yourself.
    Anonymous

• Sorry, but throwing yourself a baby shower or any other kind of shower is tacky, tacky! It is an absolute etiquette no-no!

Anonymous

• It's actually tacky and etiquette states it's a HUGE no-no. However, a lot of people will ask their friends if they can use their name as the host. You do all the work but the invites go out like your good friend is the host and her return address on the envelopes and everything. That way you have control over when and where but it doesn't look tacky. As long as your friend is going to be at the shower and agrees to go along with it. Then it's just between the two of you. But doing it for yourself comes off as greedy and tacky.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 5:24 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I think it's tacky to throw one for yourself, but a welcome baby party after the birth would be ok.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, it's really not OK. It's even tacky to have a parent throw one.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 5:36 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• toriandgrace why is it tacky for a parent to throw one, i've gone to alot of showers where a Mom or a MIL was giving a shower.
    Anonymous

• While I wouldn't throw one for myself, I don't know how the people you know would see it. I also don't think it's tacky for a parent to throw one for you. My mom gave me one and I know several other grandmothers who do the same. But if someone didn't throw one for me, I wouldn't have one!
    Anonymous

• Its not tacky to pamper you baby lol. You are the only non douche out of your group of friends now lol now they know that when they hae a baby you will throw a shower. lol =)
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 7:21 PM on Apr. 22, 2009