Am I doing what's best?

I recently gave birth to my son, and then I haven't been quite feeling like myself
I had to ask a close family member to help me care for him because I just don't feel up to it
I think I'm clinically depressed or something because I find myself getting angry with the baby for just crying at night
and I know he can't help it, but I still get mad
is it best that I'm having someone else help me with him while I try to fix myself?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• yes it is best. and you also should talk to your doctor, sounds like post partum depression. but it is great that you have asked someone for help. even those of us that dont' feel depressed need help with a new baby. so good for you in taking the first step, the next one is to call your doctor
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• What you're going through is perfectly normal. I would continue to ask for help and talk to friends and family. You should also express your feelings to your dr. Everyone gets stressed out now and then. It's best to get help :)
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 5:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I think you're doing what's best... I am doing the same thing for my daughters Birthmom right now. At least your woman enough to admit that you don't feel up to it and your're depressed and need help; rather than hurting the child...(not sayinig you would) So I definatly think you're doing the right thing! Good luck and I hope things get better for you :)
    HannahLee87

Answer by HannahLee87 at 5:59 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• yes
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:00 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• absolutly!!! There is no good reason for you to be doing this alone without anyones help.. even if you weren't feeling depressed, you still need help!! Irritability is one of the first symptoms of sleep deprevation. so having a short fuse is not uncommon. Infact, only after 17 hours without sleep, a test showed that drivers performed equal to or worse then somone with a high blood acohol limit. Sleep is important, use the help and get a good nap!!!
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:05 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• YES!! I'd also contact your dr. if you continue feeling down. Also take some time in the sun. Make sure to eat as healthy as possible. Trust me that will help. Good luck.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:17 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I don't talk to my doctor anymore because she was very rude to me during delivery
    so I stopped even seeing her
    and all she would do is put me on medications I will not take
    Anonymous

• absolutely! even if you arent feeling this way, getting as much help as you can get is wonderful during the newborn stage! I hope you feel better soon. maybe get some professional help. even having someone watch the baby so you can go to a spa, or get a massage at a friends house can make a huge difference!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:22 PM on Apr. 22, 2009