Can I Do It Now Or Should I Wait A Few More Months?

My son is now 8 months old and has been drinking his juice and water out of a sippy cup for about 2 months now.. I have given him his formula in a sippy cup but once I did a friend of mine told me I shouldnt because he still needs the sucking motion from the bottle... There for I started giving him juice and water in a sippy cup and his formula in a bottle...I am determained no matter what he will be off the bottle by his 1st birthday.... So they question is, Can I just go ahead and give him everything in a sippy cup and just keep a bottle or two just for emergencies? Or does he really need that sucking motion from a bottle and just hold out til his 1st birthday?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:07 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he can use a sippy cup, there is no need or reason for the bottle. Getting rid of it now is going to be easier than it will be later.

Mine were all on sippy cups at 6 months.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:47 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I've never heard of that. I tried to get my kids off the bottle asap.
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 6:09 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• i don't see why you can't give him formula in a sippy cup, they still have to suck it out... as long as he's taking it out of there, i'd keep giving it to him
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 6:10 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• he doesnt need the sucking motion, he needs the formula.
    if he is happy either way he gets it more power to you.
    my son was off the bottle by 9 mo cuz he was drinking from his sippy perfectly happy.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:10 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Yeah he seems to like the sippy cup more then the bottle now days so thats why I was asking
    Anonymous

• Keep a bottle in a cabinet as an emergency thing. He DOESN'T need the sucking motion unless you are breastfeeding or bottle feeding. Sippys encourage prolonged sucking, so ditch the sippy and switch to regular cups. If you are concerned he's not getting enough formula, keep a bottle on hand to suppliment, but if he'll take his formula out of a cup, switch him right over.

Prolonged sucking inhibits the growth of muscles required for speech. The longer he's on a sippy, or bottle, the longer it may take for him to learn to talk properly.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 6:12 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• #3 sounds good! why books and some moms say bottles are no good after a certain age i'm not sure.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:12 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• At 8 mos. he definitely does not need the sucking of a bottle that's when they are newborn. If he will drink from a sippy cup, get him off a bottle before he gets attached. All 4 of my kids were started on sippycups when they were 6 mos old and off bottles by the time they were 9 mos. Very easy transition and no crying or anything like that. I breastfed them too, but they were all on sippys full time by 9 most.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 6:16 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Sucking from the breast is healthy. It builds their lung capacity and doesn't harm their teeth like a bottle does. So, if you have him off the formula and drinking it from a sippy then good for you. Trust your instincts mama. He NEEDS the milk. Not the bottle.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 6:32 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I have never heard any reason why at they age they needed to still be sucking but I kept the formula in the bottle because I ended them at the same time. A little before my boys turned a year I started putting milk in the sippy cups. Milk always went in sippy cups and formula always went in the bottle. When they turned a year the bottle and formula were both gone.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 7:19 PM on Apr. 22, 2009