I just got a puppy and wanted to know how you can get ticks and fleas

I live in Reno, and I'm assuming they have ticks and fleas here, but not sure. How exactly do dogs get them? I have been in our backyard and never seen any before, but this was before I got my puppy. Also the backyard is all dirt right now, we are putting grass in later this month. Does dirt have anything to do with it or does grass have them too?

Mom2Rylin

Asked by Mom2Rylin at 6:13 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Pets

• ur probably gonna have them and i think you will notice when your dogs start coming iin the house and or you get to close so i would go to the vet and buy a spray they have for fleas its from frontilne or soomthing like that it is REALLY GOOD
    chukuku

Answer by chukuku at 6:17 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Sand/dirt are favored by fleas. You are less likely to find ticks in that environment, though it's not totally impossible. Ticks drop onto animals and people from leaves, or grass, or pass from animal to people in passing. They attach themselves to your hair, or skin, and then imbed their head in the skin, sucking blood from their host.

To prevent your animals being infected, look into frontline, or revolution for dogs. (I favor revolution, as it treats a wider range of concerns-fleas, ticks, heartworms, etc. ) By treating your dogs, you are treating yourself, because they'll be less likely to carry the insects to you.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 6:19 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• For something easy buy dawn dish liquid and lather them up for a few minutes and then rinse. This will not keep them off but it will get the ones already on them till you can get to the vet.
    1carlasue

Answer by 1carlasue at 11:13 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• If you use the dawn dish soap you need to put it on him while hes dry. Dont wet him first just lather him up with the soap on its own. This will get the fleas if he has any not ticks. Google fleas and dawn dish soap and it will give you instructions. I use this on my cats and rinse with a water and apple cider vinegar mixture.
    itsokmomshere

Answer by itsokmomshere at 11:19 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Thank you for all the feedback! I am definately going to get the frontline or revolution stuff. I figured I would get fleas or ticks eventually, so I do want to be prepared. Think I'll do the dawn thing tonight and then go buy the other stuff tomorrow.
    Mom2Rylin

Answer by Mom2Rylin at 11:47 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• wow I use all natural flea control on my dogs and never had flea problems. A little apple cider vinegar and garlic in her food and we haven't had any problems in 3 years.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:22 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• blue dawn dishwashing liquid
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 10:30 PM on May. 6, 2009