Would you take a picture of your deceased loved one?

I was just wondering...I thought it to be quite morbid to do so. I know some family members who videotaped at my great grandmothers funeral and videotaped her dead body lying in the coffin. My other friend took pictures of her grandson in his coffin and took pictures of all of them holding his dead body. He was 3 months old and it was a sad story. She showed me the pictures without even telling me what was in them. I was shocked and did not appreciate having to see something like taht, especially since my baby was 3 months at the time . I just thought it to be strange to take pictures of this kind of stuff. Maybe it's how people cope with it, but I still think it's strange to do. I would want to hold my grandson before they buried him, but I wouldn't want pictures of it to remind me of the heartbreak and pain. I'd want to remember my loved one alive and well. Pictures would just be a constant heartbreaking reminder, I think.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It was custom once to photograph a deceased person before burial to record items being buried with them, as well as their identities for some reason.

It is less common now to find people photographing the dead, but it still happens.

I personally would not photograph the deceased, but I guess I could understand someone else doing so.. preserving memories and all that, but it seems weird to me, like you pointed out. I'd rather preserve my memories of the living, rather than the sadness I felt at their passing.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 6:16 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Yeah, it is kind of strange...
    Anonymous

• I know many people who do so. It is part of the process of the person's grieving. I would have forewarned you, had I been your friend and I probably wouldn't have shown you at all, considering the closeness in age to your own child. I think that those kinds of pictures are for one's own viewing. My husband just took a picture of his grandmother's coffin with the carnations on it and not a picture of her inside of the coffin. To each his/her own but I do agree there should be a warning before those types of images are shown.
    blakebrm

Answer by blakebrm at 6:18 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I have always thought it was strange too. I worked in the photo department at walgreens thought, so I have seen it all.
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 6:19 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Creepy, very creepy.
    Anonymous

• no because I would want to remember how they were when they were alive, not dead.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 6:20 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Only under special circumstances (like if someone who really wanted to attend & see the deceased was unable to come, for example) and only with permission from immediate family members.

Other than that, I find it HIGHLY disrespectful. Someone did this at a funeral of an uncle of mine recently & almost got her ass kicked right there in the chapel.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:21 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My grandmother does this... I think its odd, but she always asks permission before doing so. It wouldnt even be so weird to me if it was her immediate family, but she does it with any of the family which I think is strange. But she told me back in the day this is what they did. She showed me photos of family members in handmade coffins out in the front yard wide open for anyone to see. Of course to me it was creepy since things are done alot differently these days. But, to each their own I guess. I dont prefer to see them though.
    Anonymous

• Different but commom. Not my preference at all.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 6:22 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Yo, I'd have been mad as hell if she showed me pictures of a poor little deceased 3 month old baby, knowing I had an infant the same age! Very rude and inconsiderate!
    Anonymous