• In the Spotlight:

Could my doctor be running over me??

My doctor wants to induce me tonight because I have a small trace of protien in my urine and gained 5 pounds in a week. Im not swollen at all and I am not due till friday? I really dont want to be induced. I had an ultra sound and the baby is fine. Would you go be induced or wait unitll monday?? My husband says wait till monday. My dr. was very pissy with me and said if I wait till monday my chances for a c-secions increase. He said I absoultly could not be induced over the weekend because they dont like to?? Wth?? What would you do? I just dont want to be ran over by the obs? He sweeped my membranes without my perrmisson. What are the chances of this working?
I really really want to go into labor naturally.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:22 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's your body honey, your choice. Ask for a different doctor, or say "it's My money, my body, my choice."
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 6:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• If you aren't comfortable with it then don't do it. Unless there's a medically reason (and it doesn't sound like he gave you one) then I see nothing wrong with waiting until monday. And the risk of a c section goes up when you are induced regardless. Best of luck.
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 6:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Oh that pisses me off! Don't do it! Go with your instincts and your husbands-tell your doctor if there is a serious problem you will consider it again but for now you have made your descison and you don't appreciate his attitude.
    If he is still rude talk to his superior-The birth of your child should not be stressful because of your doctor!
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 6:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• This sounds really strange, I don't understand why he would be getting pissy with you... what exactly is his reason for wanting to induce you? He thinks the baby is getting too big?
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 6:26 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Is this the first time he mentioned protein in your urine?
    Anonymous

• Wow, 5 lbs in a week? Did they say why?
    Anonymous

• your changes with an induction increase as well. If you don't think its best for you and your baby don't do it. Your the mom, your responsible for every decision you make. Personally I think that intervention should only take place if you are or baby's health is at risk. Otherwise its unnecessary and will cause problems to both of you. I don't think stripping membranes is a good idea either. I suggestion walking up and down stairs, going swimming etc. Those are some things you can to get things going. Stay hydrated as well.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 6:26 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• sorry I worded it weird.... your changes of a c-sec increase with an induction.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 6:28 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• what do the traces of protein in your urine mean for you and the baby? i'm not suggesting you get induced, b/c i was induced and didn't realize i had a choice, so i would never suggest it to someone unless they wanted to do it and it was med. necessary. but are you sure its not necessary? your chances of a c-sec go up either way if you are induced so i don't know how waiting makes it go up higher, unless he meant b/c of the weight gain the baby will be too big to deliver vaginally. just look at all the angles,not just the one you want, before you make the decision.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:28 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Did he have you collect your urine for 24 hours, usually when there is protein in your urine, the next step is collecting the urine for 24 hours. If you haven't done this part yet then it sounds like he's jumping the gun
    Anonymous