How can God be in control of us and everything,but also give us free will?

How does control = free will?

Please explain without the use of the bible or satan.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:26 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Simple you may have control over your choices.
    God has control over what you get by making those choices.
    mo2a27

This makes absolutely NO sense...
    You cannot have God's will/God's plan and free will at the same time- it's an oxy moron. Free will does not appear in the bible and it's an excuse believers made up to make their God seem less involved when things don't turn out the way they want. They can try and explain it all day and their cookie cutter answers never expain it fully because they can't.

If your God supposedly knows you before you are even born, then doesn't he already know the kind of person you will be and the kind of choices you will make? In essence then, everything is ultimately your God's plan for you and you only THINK you are making your own choices, but in reality you are only doing what your God KNOWS you are already going to do.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 6:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• You want an answer about the things of God but you don't want anyone to use the Bible??? Well, okay, I think thats contradictory, but I will give it a try. God isn't in control of US. We do have free will to make choices to do good things or bad things. There are obviously natural consequences to doing bad things. As far as WHAT he controls....I personally share the belief that he is in control of his earth that he placed within our hands. We need to be good stewards of it and we havent, but we are getting better. When you take a step of faith to place a certain situation that youre dealing with in Gods hands, then you are saying...God, I don't know what or how to do this and I ask you to show me what to do or you simply just tell God that its his to deal with. Thats free choice on our part. He doesnt just arbitrarily show up and take control. This applies to US and our personal being...We have complete control of us only.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:34 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

God bless!!
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 6:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I don't believe God controls everything, I believe our Free Will is within the limits set by what governs our lives, you COULD jump off a cliff but the Law of Gravity would cause you to fall and either be hurt or be dead so our country has rules and laws that govern our lives but they don't control every aspect of our everyday lives, we go shopping, we buy the foods we like and so on, God set laws rules that govern our everyday lives also and within the boundaries of those laws and rules we have free will.

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 6:42 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• God created it all and put us here to learn, which employs free will to whatever we want and then learn from those experiences.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Our information about God mainly comes from the Bible. I'm not sure how I can give you examples of how I feel free-will and predestination exist side to side without providing examples from the Bible. Without the Bible, I can only provide a half an answer lol.

God is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent. To say that there is anything that is out of the control of God is to say he ceases to be these things. One may be able to surmise that all though God "can" there are instances where he "won't" and allows us to make our own choices and mistakes but all the while control never ceases to be his. According to the book "The Psychology of Everyday Things," the author states very truthfully that the human mind tends to make sense of all things, even things it really can't understand (paraphrasing). This is how I see the finite mind (humans) trying to describe the ways/power of the infinite mind (God) cont....
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• (cont.) I am satisfied and at peace with saying YES, I can make my own choices and choose good vs. evil but also YES, God is always in control.

To visualize it even, I see free-will as a tall pillar and predestination as a tall pillar. Seemingly parallel to each other, they stand side by side. It is when they stretch past the human gaze that the two meet together. God know where the two meet.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:01 PM on Apr. 22, 2009