• In the Spotlight:

How can I stop my child from hitting?

For some reason, she finds it extremely funny to hit me and laugh about it..... I've asked some family members how to stop her. And some of the advice I would never do like hit her back, and when I hold her for time out and cross her hands she laughs. Shes only a year and don't think she understands what a time out is, LOL does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this?

stressednewbie

Asked by stressednewbie at 6:29 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• don't hold her for time out, put her in a room w/a gate up, no toys and leave her there for about 2 mins. holding her she thinks its a game. or tell her it hurts when she hits you, and as sternly as you can say no. as a last resort i would smack her hand, not hard, hard enough to get her attention and make her realize its not funny.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:31 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• if she is just a year, maybe redirection is a good idea. when my son hits, i take his hand and show him how to pat or stroke gently, or clap his hands. it works for us.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 7:27 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• tell her in a firm voice.. "NO".. and the redirect her to something else.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:30 PM on Apr. 22, 2009