potty training

Whens a good age to start potty training? My 13 month girl will not sit long on it unless I give her a toy to play with...... is it just to soon?

stressednewbie

Asked by stressednewbie at 6:34 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's not too young to *let* her sit on it, but it's definitely too young to *make* her sit on it. Experts say they don't have the potential for bladder control until 18 months, so you can get her used to the potty now, but I'd wait till then to really train. A lot of people wait for their kids to pretty much say, "I'm ready to potty train now, mommy" and I'm not necessarily for that. My daughter trained at 19 months. She didn't show a lot of the readiness signs many people suggest you wait for, but she did fine. But I wouldn't start too much sooner than that.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:23 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I didn't start until my oldest was 1 1/2-2... she finished at 2 1/2
    kaylajean86

Answer by kaylajean86 at 6:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• BETWEEN 18 MONTHS AND 2 YEARS IS THE MOST POPULAR AGE BUT EVERY CHILD SHOWS SIGNS LIKE TELLING YOU THEY ARE WET OR PULLING AT DIAPER WHEN WET.
    kb24

Answer by kb24 at 6:47 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• thank you my daughter does pull on her diaper
    stressednewbie

Answer by stressednewbie at 7:02 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I think she is a little young to expect much out of her. However introducing it to her, and showing her how it works can help you down the road when she is ready. Pulling on her diaper might not mean she is ready, it may just mean that she is uncomfortable because she is wet, or she is experimenting with pulling on the sides because of the noises, and feel of it. There are a lot of other things to look for to see if they are ready. Can she take her diaper off by herself, and or tell you either by speech or motion that she has to go? If not, hold off for a while and try again. She will tell you when she is ready, and never before then. As I said, introducing the toilet won't slow down the process, but don't expect much for another few months minimum.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:15 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My daughter was pretty much potty trained by 18 months, she also pretty much did it on her own, he would go to the bathroom with me, take off her diaper and sit on a potty chair, I never pushed her to do this, she did it on her own, I think that is the key, not to force them but let them do it in there own time!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 7:49 AM on Apr. 23, 2009