• In the Spotlight:

Is gender just genitalia?

Piggybacking off the recent question about transsexuals... what if a DNA test reveals that a man has female chromosomes, even though he was born with male genitalia? (An XX male.) His DNA says he is a woman; he feels that he is supposed to be a woman; he is attracted to men.

What if a baby is given an inappropriate bath of hormones in the womb, and even though external female parts develop, the baby has more masculine hormones and identifies with males, and feels out of place in the feminine body?

What about those who are born intersexed in one way or another - having both male and female characteristics externally as well as internally and hormonally. What is God's plan for them? I can tell you right now that if such a baby had been born during biblical times, it probably would have been left to die as a monster.

Do you believe that sometimes, gender is a more complicated issue than sex?

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 6:39 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Considering the Zuni, the Egyptians, and the Greeks and Romans, all had open support for transgendered and gay marriages, I'd say it's a safe bet that it goes a little beyond which bits grew in.

BTW, those links are not safe for people who will be offended by ancient artwork and 100 year old photographs showing traditional gay relationships.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:15 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Survival of the fittest.
    Anonymous

• OH yes, I definitely do believe gender is way more complicate than just from the body parts we have.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 6:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• there was something like this on private practice
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 6:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• sex is the genitalia, gender is how you identify
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 6:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• gender ID can conflict with a persons genitalia.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 6:45 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Sex/gender is WAY more than genitalia.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 7:07 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• It is definately more then just genetalia. My mom actually has more testosterone in her body then normal, so she can actually grow a beard and she has really long hair on her arms. So, the hormones that go along with the genitalia play a big part in a persons "gender" as well.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:17 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I posted on the other thread on this.... go to this site it explains it... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_change
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 7:26 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I believe gender is the entirety of an individuals psychosexual make-up and orientation. It is a very complex subject IMO, &  beyond that I don't feel qualified to explain it very in depth. Essentially, I think gender is simple for those whose gender identification matches the sex they already belong to. It is incredibly complicated for those whose gender identification doesn't match thier external sex and they are, therefore, placed in the (often unfortunate) position of trying to find ways to project outwardly thier inner gender or otherwise bring wholeness to thier being.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 9:09 PM on Apr. 22, 2009