How would you handle this situation?

I live in a 2 story duplex. The tenants upstairs have a toddler which I don't mind cuz I have one too, but the child is constantly making noises by bouncing a ball or running and jumping at ANY TIME OF THE DAY/NIGHT! I've talked to the parents about keeping the noise to a minimum especially at night, and they've apologized. It HAS NOT stopped. We've talked to our landlord, and he won't do anything because they are "nice people". All I want is the noise to be kept to a minimum and cut off after a certain time at night so my kids can sleep. What can I do next?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Home & Garden

• We didn't have a child living upstairs of us we have/had (they are moving) 2 adults that would slam balls on the floors (carpeted) for a dog that they were not to have.. yelling, video gaming until 3 am or later I have an 8 yr. Now in our case it's a whole house that was divided into and upper and lower so the main power was in our basement (which they have no access to) dh would call and warn the landlord that this was going on when it didn't stop their power went off for about 5 mins. they got the message then.
    Also under the law you have the right to "peaceful enjoyment " of the place you are renting so if the landlord doesn't wish to do anything you have several opitions... put all rent into escrowl until he talks to them or when the noise starts or continues keep going up to talk to them every 30 mins that the noise continues or have one of them sit downstairs in your place and hear the noise they make.
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:17 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• If they would get carpeting, maybe it would help. If they don't have carpets, perhaps you could suggest it to your landlord.

Answer by Bmat at 6:44 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• IDK, let me know, I have a 16yr old living above the room im in now and I refuse to sleep in this room because hes constantly banging around, playing music, its horrible. We're moving in September because of this nonsense.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 6:44 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Carpeting doesnt help here.. all the apartments are carpeted and it still sounds like theyre dancing with the furniture. lol.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 6:45 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• wow that's a hard one. I would try to talk to them about it again but after that I'm afraid there's not much you can do. You would think that they would want to start teaching their child some respect but I guess not.

Anonymous

• yeah my best friend got kicked out of her apartment with no place to go because the people below her kept complaining that her kids were being loud. if you have a toddler then you should understand you can't really make your child be quit let alone not run around. it's hard to be quit when you live on the top floor any little step can seem like a big jump because it echo's through the walls i'd suggest moving.
    Anonymous

• Keep asking them to stop, eventually they'll get annoyed and try to keep their kid quiet. At that age, the kid should be in bed by 9...10 at the latest. We had neighbors whose kids would jump off the furniture upstairs and bang loudly, and always managed to wake up our DS when he was only 3 mos old. When I asked her to keep the kid quiet, she said "I've got a 3 year old, there's no keeping him quiet" ...... at 11pm...that kid should be in bed! Good luck!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 6:47 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• i would just talk to them again. mention your child's bedtime and that it wakes your child up if there is noise after that time. if your child's bedtime is exceptionally early (between 7-8) you can't expect their child to go to bed at that time too. there isn't really much you can do to keep a toddler quiet, especially in their own home
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:53 PM on Apr. 22, 2009