Birthday party menu?

My girls have a birthday coming up. We're inviting all thier friends from homeschool group. That poses a little problem. Some of the families have different eating habits. Not bad just not what I've tried to make yet. I know we have one vegan family and a couple that eat raw(nothing weird like raw meat though). We may even have a couple kids that can't have gluten. What types of things would be appropiate for a b-day party that everyone can eat? I really need a menu but I'm at a loss. I've never 'cooked' raw before and I know vegan food can be tricky. Any suggestions?

I think I could do salsa and guacamole, I cant think of any animal 'stuff' in that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:45 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Food & Drink

• a veggie platter...ummm i would probably call the parents and ask them what they do and don't eat. that way you know its kind of a hard situation b/c i believe vegan means no animal byproducts at all right? so milk and cheese and stuff is out too...ya i would call and ask then once you have ideas from both sides you can go from there
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 6:48 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Ask that each family bring their families favorite snack. You provide the rest. Vegans don't eat anything that is made by an animal and that includes: Dairy and eggs.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• you can do a salad, that's easy enough. And a veggie tray. Also try rye bread with dill dip. Very good. (normally we get the round loafs, so we can take the middle out, cut up those pieces and use the middle as the bowl for the dill dip.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:55 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• http://www.chooseveg.com/vegan-recipes.asp

here is some vegan recipes as well. I would pick one or two dishes from there. Then pick one or two meat dishes, and one or two that are gluton free. Be sure to mark the platters, so everyone knows what it's for.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Your question made me laugh - vegans do not eat any animal products, not even honey. For the gluten allergy, no wheat. You can serve beans, rice, fruits vegetables, corn tortillas. Just be sure to read the labels carefully. www.vegweb.com has great family tested vegan recipes. I have really delicious recipe for raw chocolate pudding made with avocados; feel free to contact me with any questions at all.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:23 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Well definitely have a nice vegetable platter (just get a pre-made one at the grocery store). But don't kill yourself trying to please everyone's special eating habits. Most vegan's are used to not having a buffet to chose from. It's nice of you to want to accommodate though.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 12:39 AM on Apr. 23, 2009