How do I.................

become more of a people person? I did not use to be this way. I dont know what happend.Im a loner and keep to myself. I dont like people. They make me nervous and feel really uncofortable. I want to change I dont want to be this way. I avoid going to places because I dont like crowds I get all panciky. Has anybody went threw this before how do I get myself out of this? Any advice would be so helpful thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Health

• I was like that before my son then after my son i HAD to go out and take care of things and be around people. I was all panicky too. You just gotta force yourself and keep it in your head that fresh air and talking to people is good for you...it will boost your self esteem. GL
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:50 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• awareness of it as a problem is the first step. Slowly work yourself into feeling more comfortable by going places where there might be one person, or two people.. limit your exposure, but slowly increase it.

If that doesn't work, totally submerse yourself in a crowd, and force yourself to determine what makes you nervous. I used to be a major hermit... working in a deli for a summer helped. You see the same people over and over, and also new faces you'll only ever see once.

Good luck.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 6:50 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Why? I have pulled in my "strings" and am focusing only on my family. I don't go anywhere that my kids don't. I just don't have any desire to be around lying, awful people.
    Anonymous

• yes I know how you feel. I used to be a people person. I knew many people. then after having my son, I lost many of my friends. now I cant go into walmart because I hate large crowds, and if I get the rare chance of going out to like a bar, I end go by myself, maybe see one or two I know, then leave an hour later due to boredom. what I did to help gain a social life again was going to library playgroups! they are small and I've met a few cool moms close to my age who also have children close to my son's age. i dont see them outside the playgroup but thats ok for now. my son had a 1st bday party this past sunday and I invited one of the moms! it was a nice step to gaining a friendship. have you tried maybe looking at bulletin boards at your local library or maybe a cafe to see if theres any interesting events in your area? a great way to make friends!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:59 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I would go get a professional opinion by a psychiatrist. The description of getting panicky makes me think this is something that might be helped with medication.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:04 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I went to a professional and was diagnosised with a social anxiety disorder. I panic very easily in large crowds or overly crowded places. I keep to myself, have few friends and don't go very many places. I don't want to be this way either, I know my limits and live within those limits. I have been going to more places, but still panic when it gets too crowded. I am on Xanax as needed when the anxiety gets really bad. I have also talked out my feelings with a counselor and he helped me find ways to help me when in social situations. I am better, but still don't like being too social.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:08 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• depression/anxiety pills worked for me
    Anonymous