what does "to be born again" mean in christianty?

...sorry if I'm buggin ladies...I am jsut trying to figure things out. :)Thanks

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:52 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It means being born into the family of God...Kinda like when an adoptee is given a new birth certificate, we now have a new Father!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 6:53 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• so I suppose I would be considered a born again christian? I am moving forward with Christianity.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:55 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• You need to pray and ask Jesus to forgive your sins and be your savior! It's as simple as that....as long as you are genuine about it!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 7:02 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• The phrase "born again" comes from this passage:

"There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews: The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him. Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again." —John 3:1-7
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:04 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Jesus teaches we must invite him into our hearts and be baptized by water and the holy spirit.
    I will gladly give you the scriptures if you need them. God bless and welcome to the family!
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 7:05 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Also repent and ask for forgiveness.
    mo2a27

• Feel free to PM me if you need any more info or support.
    May God help you with your personal journey.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 7:07 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• We have a physical birth (one might say this is the "water" that Jesus is referring to in the passage). Your "Second Birth" is your spiritual birth where once you were spiritually dead due to sin but are made spiritually alive because you have accepted the promise of salvation.

The one and only qualification to be born into heaven is to believe that Jesus Christ is Lord and that God has raised him from the dead (so shall ye be saved). That is it. Jesus says "I am the way, the truth and the LIFE, no man comes to the father except by me." Many people mark the begining of their spiritual journey by praying the "Sinner's Prayer" (as Christyq explained). It is important to remember that it isn't the prayer that saves you (although you should pray and your first prayer to God ought to be asking him to guide you and telling him you accept his promise) but it is your BELIEF and FAITH in Jesus that saves you.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 7:08 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• great. Thank you so much!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 7:12 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• First of all you are not bugging anyone. Honest questions deserve honest answers. So here I go. If you have a Bible look at John chapter 3, verses 1-20. Jesus is teaching a religious leader in that passage. To be born again is the language used to describe what happen in our spirits when we accept Jesus as Lord and Savior. All humans are born with a sin nature, we do wrong. Ever notice you don't have to teach a 2 year old to misbehave? God is perfect and sinless and cannot have sin in His presence. Because He created us He has that right. The penalty of sin is death. So Jesus came and because He was sinless could pay that penalty for all humans. When we accept Christ he comes into our lives and is united with our spirit. Our spirit is then born again.
    I know this is a quick answer, feel free to pm me if you have more questions.
    Some other passages are Romans 3:23, 6:23, I John 1:7-9
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:12 PM on Apr. 22, 2009