how do you know if you have an urinary track infection ? how can it be treated at home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Health

• Cranberry juice only prevents them for me. I had many UTIs but the last UTI I had was horrible and the worst one yet. It was three weeks after I had DS. I had one when I was admitted to the hospital in labor with him. I guess they didn't treat it good enough and then with labor and all that stuff it made it get worse. You can go to CVS or Walgreen's and get the test strips and do a home test. Lots of fluids will flush out any bacteria. No baths, just shower for about a month. Sometimes, you are going to need to go to the doctor and get antibiotics but most of the time you can drink lots of fluids and that should do you some good. BTW, my symptoms with my mild ones was feeling full sensation when peeing and feeling like I had to go all the time. When I had my horrible severe UTI, I was having muscle spasms in my back that required a trip to the ER and after IV muscle relaxers and fluids and 10 hours later, I was good.
    jeng1980

Answer by jeng1980 at 7:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• if it burns when you pee drink a bunch of cranberry juice ans water, if it doesnt go away in a day or two, go to the doc
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 6:58 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I just took my dd to the dr. 2day. She has a uti. He said lots of fluids and good hygiene would help prevent it agin.
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 6:58 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Oh yeah, it really hurt when she went pee. and she started going alot more.
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 7:00 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• uti's are evil...i used to have them a lot. I had to go on anti biotics for a while. It wasn't hygiene, it was a more of a sex, urethra problem...but its all good now.
    So cranberry pills..or cranberry juice for adults...lots of water...less caffeine.
    mommylovesu28

Answer by mommylovesu28 at 7:05 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I found that cranberry juice didn't help me. I finally had to go to a urologist who got the problem under control. But if you don't want to go to a doctor right away, lots of liquids, try the cranberry juice.

Answer by Bmat at 7:11 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I also had headaches and body aches with the minor and severe one.
    jeng1980

Answer by jeng1980 at 7:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• yes it hurts when you pee--not cranberry juice cocktail but concentrated cranberry juice-try and get organic too. If it is yours I would eat 2 cloves of raw garlic a day and mix vodka with the cranberry juice. No sugar while you have and I would also say no to dairy. You should take probiotics if you have been on antibiotics. Also find a tea that has goldenseal in it or a pill.

try and get all organic or whole foods for your vitamins.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 7:58 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Burns when you pee, have to pee a lot, feel like you have to pee alot and it's only a little. Cranberry juice helps get rid of a UTI. If it is you that has the UTI, make sure you urinate after sex and wipe front to back.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:04 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• agree with tyfry peeing alot and the urgency to pee even when you just peed, burning the dr. says drink lots of water and cranberry juice I used to get them all the time oh yeah stay away from caffine
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 9:18 PM on Apr. 22, 2009