is it normal that my 11 weeks old daughter screams her head off whenever she gets a bath ?

cindyodopson

Asked by cindyodopson at 7:10 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it may be that she doesn't like it because to her it's nothing like being held in mommies arms or swaddled, etc. My dd went through this for about 2 weeks. So we ended up sponge bathing her. It wasn't fun for us, but after a week or two we reintroduced the tub, and it wasn't as big of an issue anymore for her. Keep trying, alternate between sponge baths and regular baths, and eventually she will get use to it, and later learn to love it.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:11 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Oh poor baby. You are sure that the room and the water temp are comfortable, right? Do you bathe her in a basin or baby bath? Some babies and toddlers fear sinks and tubs because they are afraid they'll be sucked down the drain, or that there is some kind of monster sucking the water down the drain. Try letting her splash in a basin of water with just her hands- you can hold her in a sitting position on the floor and let her splash in a small basin or bowl on the floor. Or stir it with a wooden spoon, or put a plastic toy in, so that she'll get used to the idea that water is OK. If the room and water are a good temperature, then pop her in and out of her bath very quickly, or soap her up outside of the bath then pop her in quickly, rinse, and out. It doesn't have to take more than a moment actually in the water.

Answer by Bmat at 7:19 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• a 11 week old ??? i mean we cant even put her in the tub or the sink we tried that 2 times and thats a no no .. so now we get a bowl of warm water with body wash in it and and get a wash cloth and rub her down .. then we put a towel around her and we put her head underneath the fosset in the sink and put shampoo on it and wash it out .. she has only ever sat in water maybe twice and she will scream to the point to where he voice cuts out and her whole body turns red and it just makes me feel so bad my husband got very upset because of how she acts.. and even when we just wipe her down she still freaks out ! I DONNT KNOW WHAT TO DO !!!
    cindyodopson

Answer by cindyodopson at 7:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Keep bathing her everynight...she will get use to it. Some babys just dont like baths. Maybe try a shower with her?
    environmentalpa

Answer by environmentalpa at 7:28 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Oh and an 11 week old wouldnt worry about going down a drain.
    environmentalpa

• well but one more question hehe.. alot of people told me dont bathe her every night because her skin will dry out bad... is that right?
    cindyodopson

Answer by cindyodopson at 7:29 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• YES! my baby HATES the bath! he is 3 months old, and he is just NOW getting to be OKAY when I put him in there..he used to scream bloody murder! i felt so bad, but I didnt have no choice..lol...
    AspinLea

Answer by AspinLea at 7:43 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• My kids hated to bath alone at that age so I just took a bath with them. By the time they could sit up, they were fine with it and LOVED water!
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 7:44 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• We had to experiment with different times with our baby, try doing it like a half hour or so after feeding when she's actually awake and content, but not ready to sleep. It might just be that she's uncomfortable or hungry or tired.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 7:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Mine always loved the bath, so I'm not sure if it's just the babies or the tub... we had a small tub that fit inside the big one and allows her to lie back. Starting around the age of your baby my youngest started kicking her legs like crazy, which I guess she thought was pretty fun. I don't think you need to force her every day to get used to it. If she doesn't spit up too much in a given day (which was why mine ALWAYS needed baths from about 5 weeks on), you can just spot clean with a wash cloth. When she's more aware of her surroundings and can better see what's happening to her, she may start to like it better.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:09 PM on Apr. 22, 2009