Was I wrong to get angry at my mom?

She is FOREVER saying "its cold out, hope the kids have on jackets," ect. Just in different ways. Today its 72 degrees out. BEAUTIFUL!

She calls and says what are the kids doing, I say, in the sandbox. She says "oh, I hope they dont get sick, its cool out"

I am like WHAT....if thats all your going to do, call and tell me how cold it is I'll let you go, she kept on and I hung up on her.

I handle it well most of the time, but its a ongoing conversation.

I feel like I have to "stand my ground" as a mom sometimes. Remind her I am now in charge.

But why do I always feel bad for doing it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Relationships

• because shes your mom. and they can make us feel guilty even when they are driving us nuts. you weren't wrong i'd get mad too. my mom does the "oh she doesn't have on pants again" routine. when my daughter is running around the house, where theres heat, in a tshirt and her pull ups...and i'm always pissed but then i feel bad if i say anything. so you aren't the only one
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:19 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• thats how moms are! i'm sure she means well and isnt telling you how to be a mom. my mom does the same thing. I've learned to just bite my tongue and say "ok mom I know" most of the time she catches herself and says "oh god rachel i'm sorry" and we laugh about it and move to the next topic!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 7:22 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• my mom also drives me crazy with the same thing. I just tell my MOM if it was that easy to get sick we would all be dead by now. Or when I had enough I would just say "stop" they are fine.
    You should call her back and tell how you feel and just tell her from now on when she starts with the weather you will cut her off.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 7:23 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I doubt she is telling you that you are a bad mom, she wants to feel important, and so she is talking about something that she thinks she knows about. And maybe to her it is chilly, different people get chilly at different temperatures. So help her feel important and thank her for the reminder, and do what you know is best.

Answer by Bmat at 7:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• you hung up while she was still talking? As older moms we tend to feel the coolness behind the pretty weather. Just bc it's 72 doesn't mean it's not got an underlying cool breeze that can cause children to get sniffles. Sometimes you younger moms just see the warm sun shining and take it at face value and send the kids out to play. I'm not saying don't send your kids outside in 72 degree weather. I'm saying that your mom was just trying to be helpful and deserved a thanks mom but I've checked it and it's fine and a goodbye would be polite without hanging up on her. That wasn't very nice.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2009