My toddler is sick - fever, runny nose. She's not eating and has been sleeping all day. Should I wake her up? Also my mom said wipe her w/ cold towel? What else can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• when you say ALL day...has she been up at all? poor girl! if she's been missing a lot of meals, I'd maybe gently try and wake her to at least have her eat so her body can have some energy to fight the germs. GL and hopefully you'll get more responses
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 7:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• as long as she is waking up to eat or drink than i would let her sleep it out. give her some tyelenol for the fever to make her comfy if it's high enough for her to not be comfortable. like the first post said, i would wake her to eat or drink if she hasn't been. don't give her any milk or dairy products. maybe some popsicles, broth, a liquid type diet so you don't upset her stomach. if she still won't get out of bed tomorrow i'd call the doc. kids normally bounce back from stuff quickly so that would worry me if it goes more than 24 hours
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:52 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Give her juice, Pedialyte, popsicles...liquids are very important. Also of course, baby Tylenol..did you call your pediatrician yet? I wouldn't push food, just liquids for now. Good luck.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 10:51 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• The best thing you can do for a sickness is rest and sleep. As long as she is getting enough liquid that she doesnt get dehydrated a couple days of her not eating full meals wont hurt. Offer popsicles and juices. Keep away from dairy products. Tylenol for fever and comfort. Offer bites of simple foods, crackers etc. If fever gets high or she wont eat for more then two days and isnt drinking I would def. take her in to the doctor.

mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:56 PM on Apr. 22, 2009