Am I overreacting??

My hours were cut back severely from my job back in January. So, because it was costing me money to work, I quit. Now, the hours are back so my boss told me he would take me back. Well I had to go through a process and reapply. I got a phone call stating I would be rehired on a temporary basis, but at more than 3$ less then what I was making.
I had a lot of responsibility at my job and I know I worked for less then most people in my position were making then. I told him I would have to discuss it with my husband, but there is NO way I am going back for that. I felt like I had been slapped. How would you react?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• Sounds like a total scam. If you need the money I would try to just go back and meanwhile keep looking for another job. Either way you'll need to use them as a reference for your next job so even though I agree what they are doing it total BS - you probably should try to avoid screaming at them...even though it would feel good! ;)
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 7:30 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• If you can make it on one salary, you go girl. My husband supports me in working only if I am happy and making what I am worth. I recently left a manager job that was sooo stressful and only $9.00 an hour. my sanity is worth more than that. good luck.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 7:31 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Well, you did quit. You are a new hire. They don't have to bring you back at what you were before. If you don't want to go back for that money, then don't. Tell them why, maybe they'll change it. But the fact is, you quit the job and now you applied to come back. They have every right to treat you as they would any other person that came in right now and applied for a job, including offering you the pay they would offer someone else. I'm not saying you were wrong to quit, or that you are wrong to not want to go back for less money. But they aren't wrong either.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:31 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Your hours got cut back but you still had a job. In this economy I would not have just quit. They are willing to take you back and you should honestly be grateful even at less per hour. That's what happens when you just quit.

Anonymous

• He is slapping you in the face. It is a scam. Tell him," if you want me back I will need a raise". This has nothing to do with economy, if it did he would of sat down and talk to you and explain that everyone is taking a pay cut.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 7:45 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• you quit, and did not hold out with the rest of the workforce who endured.
    you have to face the consequences of being a quitter.
    Anonymous

• Tropicalmama is right.
    Anonymous

• If they had laid you off, I would say they need to pay you what you were making before. Since you quit, they have the right to rehire you at the beginning of the payscale.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 8:58 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I'd feel the same way as you do. That is degrading. Your boss should see you as a person and understand your situation. $3 less is a BIG pay cut - especially if you were underpaid to begin with.
    MissLuxeLife

Answer by MissLuxeLife at 11:29 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I quit my job because it was costing me 400$ a month in insurance because since I was working my husbands insurance went up. So, since I didn't make more then that I was losing money working. I am not a quitter. They encouraged me to quit because they said hours will pick up, later. Yes, I understand they have the right to consider me a new hire. But, just because they can, should they? I mean, if you had your boss hand you the keys to the store and tell you, "I'm going to watch the game in the back, call me if there is an emergency." Yet I am only worth minimum wage now? I don't think so. They will want me to take on the same responsibilities as I had before.
    Please don't bash me for this. I KNOW I am in the right, ethically. This is exactly what happened in the 80s during the recession. People were laid off or pushed out witho hours cut and told they can come back for less money. It is simply WRONG.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Apr. 23, 2009