Where is the problem?

Two patients meet at a nursing home. Both lost their respective spouses years ago. One suffers from some serious heart problems and can't even dream of having any kind of sex again. They become friends, and then fall in love. A romantic evening consists of sitting together holding hands on the couch watching Matlock reruns on WGN. They care for one another, help each other through dark nights when they face their pending mortality, and worry about each other when one gets sick enough to be moved to the hospital.
There is no sex, there is no lust. There are two people who love each other and are there for each other in their last days.
Why is it ok unless they are named Sarah and Laura?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:29 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Ahhhh, you beat me to it :) I don't think you'll find many people that have a problem with Sarah and Laura, it's Bob and Steve that people are going to have issues with. Guys are NOT to share and show emotion like chicks are so dudes would be wrong. Right? I don't get why chicks are far more acceptable in a gay relationship than dudes are. But then again I don't get why people have issues with this type of relationship anyway.
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 11:23 AM on Apr. 23, 2009

• I have no idea. I used to work in a nursing home and I thought it was sweet how some of those old ladies would go around and make sure their friend was ok. I can only hope to have a friend care about me that much if/when I am in a home.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:34 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• how is this defined as falling in love, romantically or as friends? i love my friends, although there is no sex/lust involved. i'm not gay. are you saying this couple would be 'gay/lesb', and someone would have a problem with it? there are lots of same sex-friends that care very deeply for each other..does the world now define this friendship as gay? i don't see where this scenario would be gay, if that's the intention. (if this is a spin-off of a previous Q&A, i've been at work all day, so i'm out of the loop.)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:37 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Well that depends on if you are talking morals or legality. Legaly there is no grounds for denying them their relationship.  In fact it is illegal to forbid such contact, unless one or the other is ruled incompetent to make those decisions for themselves. 

Morally it depends on where your beliefs lie.  For me that is the Holy Bible, homosexuality is wrong according to scripture, this doesn't just mean the sex act.

Anonymous

• If it is too women then they seem to share a more friendship love than anything.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 7:39 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• For real, nothing wrong with it at all......Golden Girls....my friends and I should only hope to be so close when we are old and gray and without men LOL
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 7:39 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Sounds like a BFF to me .... This is how we joke about growing old together, someday when our hubby's are gone.... Why can't women be friends anymore without it being sexual?
    My mom and her BFF(straight as can be) used to walk around holding hands or arms linked all the time, and nobody thought anything about it.....It's sad that we can't have friends like that anymore!

christyg

Answer by christyg at 7:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• There is no problem morally or legally because Laura and Sara have not lust or sex.
    Anonymous

• Ok, so since me and my friends used to hold hands in high school and we talked through our problems and all that stuff, does that mean we were committing gay acts? I would ask you directly, but, alas, you have chossen to hide behind the anon button.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

So then there is no problem with celibate homosexuality? Cause it seems to me, there are plenty of heteros going around with tons of lust and sex and that doesn't stop them from marrying.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2009