could my baby possibly be scratching my uterus?

sometimes i feel some scratching in my uterus and it kinda hurts, is this something that could happen specially at 36 weeks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• well, baby's do have fingernails but I haven't heard of them scratching before...
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 7:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• like stepmom said i've never heard of that. maybe you are having braxton hicks contractions
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 7:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• no i dont think is braxton hicks they are different, it feels like a traveling sharp pain in uterus, i asked a nurse and she said its actually possible since they have long fingernails already, but personally i never heard or it either!
    Anonymous

• Same here, never heard of it but I can't rule it out. I think, though, that before birth that the baby's fingernails are very soft, so I think they wouldn't scratch. You know how your fingernails get when they are soaked for a while either in the tub or dishwater, for example, well a baby's fingernails are wet all the time, I just really doubt that they are strong enough to scratch, they are probably pretty rubbery until they dry out when they are born.

Answer by Bmat at 7:45 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• im 40 weeks today and i can feel my baby moving her fingers down below...i kinda thinks shes scratching me too..sometimeds i wonder if shes trying to swim in there or trying to break the amnotic sac to get out lol
    =]

so i think it is possible! anything is possible! babies are strange in that awesome way!
    MissKellee

Answer by MissKellee at 7:52 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I think you do have a little stretching and it could be the babies way to stretch out a little.If you're in bad pain don't hesitate to tell your doctor,good luck.judyplove
    judyplove

Answer by judyplove at 8:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Could it be them stretching possibly and hitting a nerve? They don't have a lot of room towards the end so .........maybe that is it? Do they do it at certain times, certain activities? I know this doesn't have to do with the scratching but every time I had to urinate my daughter actually would kick or punch my bladder........one time I almost jumped off the toilet because of it. LOL. Anyways just take it easy, call your doctor if you have ANY concerns...after all you pay them right? They better take ANY questions you have and answer them! Peace out!
    caitenni

Answer by caitenni at 2:38 AM on Apr. 23, 2009