I am starting to try and potty train my soon to be 2 year old dd...any advice?

My dd will be 2 next week, and I'm ready to start potty training her. We have the potty chair. She is starting to mimic me going to the bathroom, wakes up dry at times from over night, and naps, and pulls at her diaper and trys to take them off. Any advice to give would be appreciative!

mommyangel0102

Asked by mommyangel0102 at 8:13 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There are lots of different schools of thought out there. Depends on your parenting approach what will work for you. We're the sort of "if you're gonna do it, do it" parents and people, so we just threw out the diapers (symbolically, that is -- we kept them for nights and nap time, actually, but we told her "no more diapers, you're going to wear big girl underwear now"). She helped pick out her underwear. Then the day we started, it was underwear from the first minute and we haven't gone back. We put her in a t-shirt and underwear and kept the potty chair close. As she'd start to have an accident, we moved her to the potty and rewarded her everytime even a drop landed in there. She was close to trained by day 5 (ready to go out of the house) and was telling us whenever she needed to go by day 9. She was 19 months. I think you're starting at a perfect age, before some of the fears and resistance issues get to be too big.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:36 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I wrote a blog about it today.  I hope it is helpful.  It has worked for many toddlers.

http://raisingrocco.today.com/2009/04/23/potty_trained_under_two/

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 8:34 PM on Apr. 23, 2009