Hey other moms of more than one...

Were you afraid while you were preganant with your second child about how your relationship would change with your first? I get so worried because my little man and I are so close...is that going to change drastically when his sister gets here?

ajguinn

Asked by ajguinn at 8:35 PM on Apr. 22, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i can't answer your question, my lil man will be here in may but i'm terrified how it will affect my dd's and mine relationship. i am her best friend, and it is us against the world most of the time (husband is navy so he's gone alot) and i'm so scared how this little boy is going to affect it. so i wanted you to know you aren't the only one!
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:37 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• Not if you let it, let him be a part of the babies routines like him helping you with diapers, feeding and bathing. that's what I did with mine they are 2 yrs. apart .
    LatinMamiOf2

Answer by LatinMamiOf2 at 8:38 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I was afraid of that too when I was pregnant with my second. Everything just kinda fell into place though when he was born. You don't love your first child any less; you don't have quite as much time for her as you did before though. As long as you keep him involved and let him help with baby so he doesn't feel like baby is replacing him or taking mommy away from him then everything will be fine. It gets easier as they get older too and you are able to do the same things with them both at once.
    TilmannsGirl

Answer by TilmannsGirl at 8:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I did worry, but I also know that things work themselves out and YES it is going to change your relationship, how can it not? You determine whether it is a good or bad change. My 25 month old loved helping me get diapers and what not after his sister was born and when I would nurse her I would let him sit and cuddle up next to me too.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:28 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• omg..im pregnant with my second child and im also so scared of this happening. I love my logan..hes my world almost 2 now. Im so scared that when the new baby gets here he going to feel left out.
    Proudparent707

Answer by Proudparent707 at 9:36 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I thought the same thing when i was pregnant with my daughter because me and my son are very close. Nothing changed really you just have to learn to share the attention and i involve my son in as much as possible with his sister and he loves her to death now, they are like best friends.
    jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 10:15 PM on Apr. 22, 2009

• I'm sure you'll still be close to your first. We are on our fourth and it naturally changes your relationship with previous children. That's natural and it's suppose to happen. Don't think of it as a negative thing though, it's like your relationship evolves. All realationships evolve over time, so do the ones with our children. It's a new and exciting season in life for you and your 1st child, it will change, but only because it's good for it to change, natural and expected.
    puddleybug

Answer by puddleybug at 11:56 PM on Apr. 22, 2009